Chapter 65- To No Avail

Xiangcheng City's main city was exactly like a refugee camp at the moment. In addition to several antique shops in the central location, everywhere else was in ruins. In these ruins, a wide variety of tents could be seen everywhere. And in places that didn't even have a tent, refugees would directly lie down to sleep on the ruins.

Of course, more people had a look of despair on their face. They sat motionless on the side, looking silly.

Cheng Yang knew that these people weren't really silly. They became this way because they had lost the desire to live. The tragic loss of family members as well as not knowing what tomorrow would hold completely crushed them. But even in such a situation, they didn't dare confront death.

As the two people walked slowly in the crowd, a man quickly raced over. He hugged the front of Cheng Yang's thigh, and implored, "Your Excellency, this lowly servant beg of you. I would like to serve you for a lifetime, as long as you can give me enough food to eat."

"You ......" Ma Tao was trying to block the man, but was stopped by Cheng Yang.

Cheng Yang calmly took a look at this man, he was a middle-aged man, approximately less than 40 years old. Frankly, Cheng Yang had nothing but contempt for this man, because this man had lost the moral integrity for life. Originally with his physique, as long as he stepped out of the ruins, and followed some profession's team outside, finding food shouldn't be an issue, but because of his fear of death, he would rather give up his dignity, kneeling for help.

"Let go, I have no intention of accepting a servant. If you don't want me to punch you, you better scram." Cheng Yang coldly said.

The man raised his head to look at Cheng Yang, the corner of his mouth moved, but the fear seen in his eyes didn't permit him to speak out. As the lowest level personnel in the main city, they were very aware of their present situation. They were like ants in comparison to professions, as a result they didn't dare incite the anger of the professions.

The moment the man turned and walked away, Cheng Yang saw in his eyes flashes a little resentment, but Cheng Yang didn't put this to mind. If the previous world, he absolutely wouldn't allow this type of people bearing resentment toward him to exist, because his statue wasn't much higher than the opposite party, and once they transferred to a profession, they would be a great threat to him. But this time was different, Cheng Yang was not only a high-order profession's apprentice, he was also the Lord of Luo Feng Village. Even without his status, he wasn't someone an ordinary profession could handle.

"How can these people......" Looking at this scene, Ma Tao was shocked.

Cheng Yang said, "This is the apocalypse, in order to survive, there will be all kind of people. Now many people are still defending their last bit of dignity, very few would choose to break their bottom line. But in the future, this kind of thing is absolutely everywhere."

Ma Tao apparently wasn't convinced, but looking at the ongoing scenes let Ma Tao gained a deep awareness of the cruelty of this world. The time for peace and prosperity had already come to an end for them.

Presently, Xiangcheng City's main city had an army of 8,000 troops, of which 1,000 had transferred to professions. This number was still increasing at a rate of 200 people a day, it was almost guaranteed that all these soldiers would eventually be transferred to profession. Besides the regular army, there were three militia groups, each militia had 20 transfer quotas a day. So far, the three militia altogether added up to less than 200 people.

For ordinary people, being able to transfer to profession was undoubtedly their greatest dream. At the present stage, it was also the sole method for the carp to leap through dragon's gate*. Now it was unlikely to join the army, so their vision was focused on the militia. [TLN: Read the proverb here..]