Chapter 3: The Cookout

I was suddenly woken up by Jackson coming into my room, asking me to come downstairs with him and help Katie in the kitchen. I looked over at my clock seeing that it was 9 in the morning. For a minute I wondered what made today so special and why she needed help in the kitchen, but then it hit me that the cookout's today. 

        I followed Jackson downstairs to the kitchen where Katie already seemed to be working for a while. I immediately started helping make pasta salad, potato salad, and a whole bunch of cold dishes that have to go out to the refrigerator in the garage. We spent all morning cooking and baking the things that could sit around and thawed the burgers and hot dogs for my dad to grill when everyone was here. 

        Before I realized what time it was, there was a knock on the door and then the screen door opened revealing the boys. I was busy putting lids on all of the containers when I heard a familiar voice next to me. "Wow Cammy. Is this what you're wearing all day? I don't know if it is quite appropriate for this event," I looked up and met Jake's gaze as I suddenly remembered that I was still wearing my very short shorts and a tank top because I haven't showered yet. 

        "Stop. I've been up all morning helping Katie get all of the food ready," I looked over at Katie and continued, "Do you think I can go up and get ready? Will you be okay by yourself with these idiots". The boys all made noises when I called them that, Katie said that she would be fine and that I was free to go get ready. 

        I looked over at the boys from the bottom step telling them, "I'll be back in like 20 minutes, you can either wait for me or you can get started". I quickly ran up the stairs, grabbed my towel off the hook on my bedroom door and went into the bathroom. 

        I showered relatively quickly compared to normal making sure to wash my face and shave my legs. Once I got out, I wrapped the towel around myself and went to walk to my room, but when I opened the door I was face to face with Quil, more like face to chest because of him being pretty much a foot taller than me. "Shit sorry", he said immediately trying to get out of my way. 

        "It's fine Quil. No harm no foul. Plus at least I have the towel on. Things could have been a lot worse," I moved out of his way and walked past him while saying, "bathroom is all yours". I heard him laugh after I made it into my bedroom, closing the door behind me. 

        I had already picked out the clothes I was going to wear, but I didn't want to get makeup on my white tank top so I quickly did it while I was still in my towel. I don't wear much makeup on a normal basis, the only time you'll ever see me wearing a full face of makeup with eye shadow is a school dance, school pictures, or a wedding. I normally just put on mascara, a little bit of concealer, and highlight. I like to keep it simple. 

        Once I was dressed, I made my way downstairs again. I went to the kitchen first grabbing a water out of the fridge and turning to Katie saying, "Do you need help with anything else?"

        "No I've got it all under control now, it's just taking things out of the oven and putting new things in. You should go monitor the boys and make sure that they don't break anything" 

        "Definitely a good idea," I gave her a quick smile before heading out the back door to see how the boys are doing. When I walked outside, I heard the laughter of the boys and then Quil saying something when he saw me. They were all sitting in a circle of chairs in the yard. If Quil told them and they start teasing me, I will go around and punching every one of them.  

        "What's so funny over here," I asked approaching them. When I noticed Quil's guilty look I quickly asked, "You're all talking about me in my towel, right?"