Chapter 68: Sick Olivia

"She's not eating Em, I don't know what to do. She just keeps crying and I have tried everything I can think of", I sighed into the speaker of the phone. 

      On the other side, Emily spoke, "Try to give her cold milk, see if that works. They had to do it with Claire when she was little, but if it doesn't work I would call Sue. She'll know what to do", I just nodded even though she couldn't see it. 

      "Thank you Em, I really appreciate the help", I added before hanging up the phone and moving to the kitchen. I poured some cold milk into her bottle before making my way back to the nursery where she was still crying in her crib. 

     I picked her up and held her in my arms as she held the bottle in her small chubby hands. She sipped a little bit, but stopped a few seconds later and dropped the bottle onto the floor. I was able to pick up the bottle and sit it on the dresser before she started crying again. I tried to sway her back and forth but her crying didn't let up, I looked down at her, "Olivia what's wrong baby. Mama is here, you're okay". 

     I tried every motion that I could to get her to stop crying, but nothing made her stop. I finally pulled my phone out of my pocket again and tried to dial Paul's number, the phone just rang and rang, eventually going to voicemail. I tired one more time and got the same thing so I gave up on trying to call him. I looked back down at Olivia while she snuggled into my side like she was trying to get warm. I moved one of my hands to her little forehead, I kept it there for a second before pulling it away because she is burning up. 

      I grabbed my phone one more time and when it went to voicemail again, I finally left a message, "Paul, I don't know where the hell you are right now because you're not patrolling, but I am taking our daughter to the hospital. She has a fever, so if you get this and decide that you want to come help me take care of her that's where I'll be".

      I buckled her into her car seat, grabbing her diaper bag and the keys to my truck before making my way out of the house without even locking the door. I buckled her seat in and made sure that she was safe as I climbed into the drivers seat, starting the engine and dialing Emily's number again while putting the phone on speaker so that I could drive away. 

      "Cammy?", she asked. 

      "Em, I'm taking her to the hospital. She has a fever and I don't know what to do anymore. Paul isn't picking up his phone and I have no idea where he is".

      She sighed on her side of the phone, "I'll see if anyone knows where he is, but if I can't find him then I'll send someone to come be with you"

     "Thank you Em. I'll make sure to keep you updated", she said a goodbye and then hung up the phone while I stayed focused on the road that has the hospital only a few minutes down the road. 

      I kept a steady speed going down the road until I pulled into the parking lot, as soon as I parked the truck I hopped out and took Olivia into my arms. I practically started to run toward the emergency room doors someone stepped in front of me. "Cammy, are you okay?", it was Jake looking down at me and then Olivia. 

      "She has a fever, I just need to get her inside", he nodded and walked beside me as we went through the doors and straight to the desk. "Hi, my baby Olivia has a fever and she wont eat". The nurse nodded and lead us to a bed where I laid Olivia down so that she could look her over. 

      "How long has it been since she ate last?", she asked while taking her temperature. 

      "She ate a little this afternoon, but she hasn't eaten anything since", she just nodded and put the cold stethoscope on Olivia's chest which made her cry again. I held out my finger to her, letting her grab onto it before she started to settle down again.