Chapter 69: Meeting Baby Lucca

I had just sat Liv down on the floor so that she could crawl around when Embry and Paul came running through the door. "Where's the fire guys?", I asked as they finally slowed to a stop in the living room. 

      "Well we were all out running when we heard yelling coming from Sam's house so we went over there. Her water just broke so I think that we should head to the hospital", I nodded and went to scoop up Liv, but Embry beat me to it. He grabbed the diaper bag and took the keys to my truck, making his way out of the house without another word. Paul turned to me as I slipped on my sneakers, "Just grab your stuff, they are already getting in their truck. Embry is going to go tell everyone and then he'll bring Liv to the hospital". 

     I grabbed my purse, throwing it over my shoulder as I all but ran out to the truck and watched as Paul did the same. He pulled me close to him, starting the truck and pulling out of the garage in one swift moment. Once we were traveling down the road and toward the reservation, I gave his hand a gentle squeeze before leaning my head against his shoulder. 

      "I can't believe that we are going to be god parents, that Emily and Sam are having a baby. It's all just so crazy, but I wouldn't want it any other way", I said as I watched the trees go by. He leaned his head against my own and placed a kiss on my forehead before finally responding. 

      "Well at the end of the year, we'll be high school graduates and I'll be working at the garage while you get ready for college. Also we'll have a one year old daughter", he just chuckled at himself, "I can't believe how fast our little girl is growing up".

      "She'll be going on her first date before you know it", he jokingly pushed me off of him as we pulled into a parking spot next to Sam's old truck. 

     "Never say those words. My little Olivia is never going on a date. You know that I am still denying the fact that Embry imprinted on her", I just laughed as I took his hand and followed him to the hospital doors. 

      We didn't even make it to the front desk when Sam yelled our names from down the hall, "Cammy, Paul. This way". We followed him into the elevator, joining him and Emily, who was sitting in a wheelchair, on our way up to the next floor where the delivery rooms, recovery rooms, and nursery are. 

     I reached my hand out to Emily so that she could grab it, squeezing when the contractions came. As the elevator door opened, a couple of nurses greeted us and showed us to the delivery room that Emily would be in. "Okay, we need the room just for mom for a second. We are going to get her changed", we all nodded but as we went to leave the nurse continued, "I need someone to fill out the paper work for her". Sam nodded and when we left, the door closing behind us, he made his way to the reception desk where a lady was ready with a clipboard in hand. Paul and I took seats that faced the door while Sam leaned against the counter and filled out the paperwork as fast as possible. 

      Sam had joined us a few minutes after we first sat down, his eyes were fixed on the door while Paul and I just watched him with careful eyes. I was worried that the pain that Emily was enduring right now reminded him of the accident a few years ago. I was watching the expressions changing on his face, none of them looking like guilt, as I heard a large group of people coming down the hall from the elevator. 

      "The village has arrived", Billy joked as Sue wheeled him so that he was sitting across from me. 

      "Good thing because it looks like Sam is ready to have a heart attack", Paul said, I looked back to Sam who seemed to be showing the anxiousness that was overcoming him. 

      Embry laughed as he sat Olivia down in Billy's lap before taking the seat next to him, "Man you were a mess when Cammy was giving birth. You were worse than Sam is". Paul just shook his head at him but refused to give him the satisfaction of telling Embry that he was right.