Chapter 54: Invitations

Jake rushed in through the back door, nearly giving me a heart attack, as he rushed over and sat on the counter right next to me, "So what are we doing today?".

     I looked up to him, confused where this sudden burst of energy came from. In the two weeks since we've moved into the house, Jake has only come by a total of three times. "Well it's supposed to rain all day, but I told your dad that I would come by today to see him. I can cook us some grilled cheese for lunch and then we can head over there". He just nodded and grabbed a piece of cheese out of my hand as I went to place it on the bread. I shook my head at him as I hit his hand with the spatula as he tried to grab more. 

      I plated the one grilled cheese for me and the three that I made for Jake, I sat on a stool at the counter while he just put his plate in his lap while he turned to face me with a mouthful of grilled cheese. I couldn't help but laugh at him, especially when he gave me a huge smile that exposed his food. He finished all of his food at the same time that I finished my one sandwich. 

    "Alright since I cooked you get to do the dishes wolf boy, I'll be out in the truck waiting", he just nodded and started the dishes before I even made it out of the house. I just made it to the truck when he closed the front door and began jogging to toward me. 

      He climbed into the truck and closed the door, just looking at me as I backed away from the garage and turned so that I could go back down the driveway. In only a couple minutes I was pulling up in front of the Black's house, Billy was sitting out on the front porch, but as we pulled up he rolled himself inside. 

      The two of us climbed out of the truck and walked into the house, Billy was sitting in the kitchen. I walked over and gave him a kiss on the cheek before I noticed a piece of paper on his lap. I looked down and saw their names written in cursive and I could only guess who wrote it. It's the wedding invitation, Bella and Edward are getting married. I looked down at the paper and then back at Billy with a worried expression. 

      Jake was messing around in the living room when Billy called out to him, "Son, can you come in here?". In a few seconds, Jake was standing in front of his father and I confused at our worried expressions. He looked between us and then noticed the envelope in his father's hand, Billy held it out so that he could take it. 

      I watched as he slowly took the envelope from his father, the anger already starting to bubble up inside him. He slid the thick paper out of the envelope and I watched as his eyes scanned across the page, his confusion that covered his face was replaced with anger now. I watched his eyes go from their normal brown to a darker shade as he began to shake. Thunder rolled over our heads which just made the situation seem even scarier. 

      He began shaking even more as he looked over the page again, he became more furious and when he looked up at us, he wasn't the same person he was five minutes ago. "Jacob, son, calm down", Billy tried to tell his son but I could barely hear him through the growls coming from Jake's chest and the thunder overhead. "Cammy, maybe you should go sweetheart", Billy looked up at me but I just shook my head at him. I wasn't going to leave the two of them here alone, not with Jake this angry. 

      Before I even realized what was happening, Jake was turning around and running out of the door. Billy and I followed and as I watched Jake yell out in pain and turn into his russet furred wolf, I felt his pain. My chest felt tight and I knew that my best friend was gone. "Cammy, he'll be back", Billy said. I just nodded my head and watched as I caught my breath. 

      "I just hope he comes back in time for the baby, I want him to be there", Billy grabbed my hand before turning around and rolling into the house again. I followed behind him, sitting on the couch and watching whatever game was on the television at the time.