Chapter 23: Funeral

Today is the day that I bury my mother, I lay her in the ground and I will never see her again. I didn't want to open my eyes, I yawned and stretched while they were still closed. I felt as though if I kept my eyes closed for a little while longer maybe it wouldn't be true. After I did all of that, I opened my eyes and they immediately fell on the black dress that Katie had bought for this very occasion. 

      I listened for the sound of the shower, but when there was no sign of it I decided to get out of bed and shower. I knew that everyone from Forks and La Push would make an appearance today, my mom worked as a nurse at the hospital so she knew everyone in Forks. I showered quickly, not wanting to drag on while I need to be getting ready and preparing myself mentally.

      I got out of the shower and wrapped my towel around myself, I heard Katie talking to Jackson downstairs as I closed my bedroom door behind me.  I know that today is going to be a very sad day, so I didn't bother to put on any makeup. I blow dried my hair and once it was sitting dry on my shoulders, I pulled my dress up and zipped the back of it. I looked over myself in the mirror before going into my closet and grabbing the black pumps out of the box on the floor. I slid on my shoes and then went down the stairs to see Jackson in dress clothes sitting on the floor with his cars in front of him. I walked over and gave him a kiss on top of his head before walking into the kitchen to see Katie sitting at the kitchen table. 

      I walked over to the cabinet and grabbed a glass, I put ice in the cup and then poured some coffee and creamer into the glass. I took the seat across from Katie, she put her tablet down on the table and looked up at me, "This whole Seattle thing seems to be getting completely out of hand".

      She slid her tablet towards me and I read the headline 'Seattle in a State of Terror: Serial Killer or Gang Activity', I looked up at her again, "Dad won't be going to Seattle any time soon right?" 

      Katie shook her head in response, and then picked her tablet back up to close out of the news. She locked her tablet and then responded, "We don't need to worry about that today, plus I don't think he is going to leave town for a while. He is really worried about you". 

      "I know Katie, but I'm just sad that she's gone. I'll be okay". 

      "I know you will, you're a strong girl. Stronger than I have ever been". I took a sip of my coffee and opened up my phone to a bunch of text messages in our group chat.

Jared: I don't know what to wear. Someone help

Jake: You should wear nice pants and a button up

Jared: Are shirts required?

Paul: Jared I didn't know you were that dumb 

Embry: Seriously 

Quil: He has to be joking 

Jared: I am chill out 

Cammy: I really appreciate you all coming today, it means a lot 

Jake: One word from you and we are escaping, you included 

Cammy: I really appreciate that, I may need it by the end of it. I don't know how much pity I can take 

Paul: No one is pitying you, baby. Everyone loves your mom, everyone is sad too. 

     My dad came into the kitchen when the last message came in, I read it and it put a smile on my face knowing how many people she touched. He looked over my shoulder at my phone and he said, "They're right you know. One, cause you can leave whenever if you feel too overwhelmed. Two, your mom did touch everyone around here and just because she moved away doesn't mean that they forgot her. There will be a lot of people at this funeral". I nodded, knowing that he was right while he turned and poured coffee into his travel mug. He added a tiny bit of milk before continuing, "We should get going. Is everyone ready?"