Chapter 15: Dress Shop

Emily came into the guest bedroom, opening the curtains to let the light in, and in her sing-song voice said, "Cammy, you have to get up so you can eat before we go to the dress shop". I slowly opened my eyes, letting them adjust the sun that was only supposed to last until 12 because of the thunder storm coming up from Oregon. She entered the room fully, moving so that she could sit on the edge of the bed. "The pack had a rough night last night, they're all downstairs eating now. Some one is running to Forks to do the grocery shopping for me while we all go to our appointment. The younger boys are going to patrol, since they weren't with them last night, and it will give the rest of the pack time to sleep." 

      We both got up off of the bed, making our way down to the kitchen where the pack was having side conversations. Paul was talking to Jared about a plan while Jake and Quil were talking about Jake's car. The rest were just chatting small talk about the situation last night and how tired they are. Most of the food in the bowls was already gone, but in front of the empty seat between Paul and Jake there was an already made plate filled with food. 

      I took my seat next to my two favorite people, pouring orange juice into a glass before taking a sip of it. I didn't notice Paul turn to look at me as I put the first forkful of eggs into my mouth, "How'd you sleep?"

      I swallowed the eggs before answering, "Surprisingly well. What are your plans for today?"

      He took my hand in his own, looking in my eyes, "Sam asked me to go into town to get the groceries for Emily and then I'm going to come back here and try to get some sleep". He looked at me for a minute, I can see the growing tiredness in his eyes. The usual brightness -that engulfed his brown eyes and drew me to him more and more- is gone, instead they seem red as if he had really bad allergies. I feel bad for how tired the pack looks, but Sam looks worse than the rest. He has worry written across his face as he is in his deep thoughts, that's just adding to the tired look. Sam is usually such a happy man that always looks refreshed and is the one that calms everyone's nerves, but now he seems like the one who needs to be consoled. 

      I finished my plate in silence just listening to all of the different conversations happening in around the table. No conversation in particular held my attention for long, I would just listen to each for a couple minutes until I got bored. Once I ate the last strip of bacon on my plate, I got up from the table taking the remaining dishes out to the sink to wash them. I was drying off the last plate, putting it away when I felt someone watching me. I turned around and met with by Paul's brown eyes again. 

      "Do you need anything from the store? Any food for your house?", he looked at me with ease. I thought for a second to see when the last time that Katie went to the store was, it was only last weekend, so I would be fine. 

      "No Katie just went shopping I'll be okay", he looked like sleep was coming over him slowly. I continued, "You should leave for the store now and get it done so you can go to sleep baby." 

      I waited for his response, "You're right. Text me if you need anything, the shopping shouldn't take too long." 

      I nodded at him, planting a kiss on the top of my head before walking out of the house. I heard his truck start and the engine get further away as he drove down the road. I was listening to the sound of his truck when Leah came into the kitchen, "Hey are you ready to go? I want to get this dress fitting over with". 

      I threw the dish towel on the counter, following her to meet Emily outside. Leah offered to drive so that we could be in an actual car instead of Sam's truck. Most of the ride was silent other than the sound of the radio playing whatever song was number one on the billboard charts right now. It only took about 15 minutes until Leah shut off the car, sighing because of her dislike for wearing dresses that she has expressed so many times before. Emily turned to Leah, "Thank you for doing this Leah, it really means a lot. We're just waiting on Kim", she looked behind the car, "And there she is now. Let's go ladies".