Chapter 15: Waking up

(Liam's POV)

"Louis are you awake? Can you hear us?" I asked from beside him. He just kept slowly rubbing his thumb against Mackenzie's hand. I swear he nodded his head just a little but I was the only one that saw it I guess. "Daddy I knew you would keep your promise I mean we locked pinky's and everything!" Mackenzie said kissing his hand. "Louis you scared us. Tomorrow you are going to go into surgery to get something called a g-tube. We will be right here when you wake up we promise." I said. 

                "I'm sorry guys we need too let Louis rest. His surgery is at 7 a.m tomorrow. We are going to keep him for the week till he has his next treatment." Dr. Sefron came in. We all said or last goodbye and walked back the waiting room. We told Nick what was going on so we could reschedule rehearsals. "We can skip tomorrows rehearsal but we really need to get back to it Saturday so we can at least practice for next week" He said. We all understood. Louis wouldn't want us to cancel rehearsals for him. 

******

We walked through the door to the house and set all of our stuff down. "Come on Kenz lets get you in the bath and ready for bed." I said carrying her upstairs. I set her on her bed and she just leaned over and plopped down on the bed. Ever since she found out Louis went to the hospital her perky little personality has been gone. I filled up her tub with warm water and bubbles just like she likes it and went back in her room to find her asleep. 

                "Kenz lets get you cleaned up then you can go to bed." She just raised her arms keeping her eyes closed. I picked her up and carried her to the bathroom. I undressed her and put her in the tub (She's 6 don't get the wrong idea) but she was still drooping her eyes. "Need help?" I asked. She nodded her head and leaned her head against the side. I grabbed her loofa and started washing her up. When I finished I put on her PJ's and carried her back to her room. After I tucked her in and gave her her blanket she quickly fell asleep. I was exhausted too so I decided to just go to bed. I guess thats what the others decided too because when I walked outside her room it was dead silent. I quickly got in and out of the shower and went straight to bed knowing we would have to be at the hospital at the latest 8 tomorrow. 

******

                I woke up to my blaring alarm clock. I Groaned and got out of bed. I knew if I didn't nobody would. I went to every door except for Mackenzie's When I got to Mackenzie's room I went in and gently shook her shoulder. "Hey sweetie we need to get up." I said. "It's too early uncle Liam" she mumbled rolling over. "Hey your daddy is waking up today don't you want to go see him?" I asked. She shot up and hopped out of bed. "Get ready I'll get you some breakfast ready."

                I Went downstairs, banging on Nialls door again on the way because his was the only one that wasn't open. I got to the kitchen and got some fruit and put them in Mackenzie's snackeez cup along with some apple juice. I just grabbed some apples and bananas for the rest of us.

                Mackenzie came down the stairs wearing the most mix matched outfit ever. She was wearing two diffrent disighned high socks with her pink tutu and puple t shirt. She also was wearing a big blue flower bow. "Daddy never lets me wear what I want! Your the best Uncle Liam!" She squealed hugging my leg. well now I know the reason behind her choice of ensemble. I handed her her cup and picked her up. I took her out to the car and Paul was waiting for us in and put her in her seat where she started heating her fruit.

                  "Hurry up if we don't leave now we wont be there on time!" I yelled from the door.  All of a sudden everybody came running down the stairs. "Sorry Liam we just aren't morning people" Harry said passing me as he went out the door. When Everybody was out I locked the house and went to the car. It is horrible seeing Louis's empty seat I just wish he was here and we were heading to rehearsals and not the hospital. 

We got to the hospital and they said his surgery went great. He was in recovery right now and was going to be waking up soon. We all walked back to his room to see him lying the exact same way has yesterday except instead of a tube coming-out of his nose it was coming out of his stomach. 

"Louis we are here just like we promised except now you have to keep your end of it and wake up!" Harry said. I slapped his arm. "Oww im just stating the truth." harry said rubbing his arm. 

                I heard a groan from Louis bed and saw his eyes beginning to open. "Hey Lou we made it, barely, the guys took to long." I said going over to him. He gave a small smile. He looked down and noticed the tube coming out of his mouth giving a questioning look. "Do we tell him?" Niall mouthed to me. I looked at Paul and he nodded. "Um... Louis your cancer spread faster than they thought...Rehearsals overworked your lungs which caused you to pass out. That is the ventilator they put you on to help your lungs become stronger. It's coming out later today." Niall said. Louis didn't look to shocked I guess he saw this coming. 

"Daddy I love you!" Mackenzie said leaning over the side of the bed to give him a kiss on his head. He smiled and grabbed her hand. 

***

(Louis POV)

"How do you feel Lou?" Zayn asked. "A little sore" I managed to croak out. That tube had been resting on my vocal cords for almost two days so they said it would be a couple days till I fully regained my voice I mean it doesn't matter anyway because they are keeping me here for a week. I'm just glad they moved me back to our regular room and out of the ICU. If you think the cancer ward is sad the ICU is definitely 10x worse. 

                Right now I was lying on my bed with Mackenzie asleep on my chest. I swear this child is not a morning person. "So when do you all go back to rehearsals?" I asked. "Tomorrow. They really needed us back there as soon as possible." Niall said looking down. "It's fine I don't want the show to suffer becuase of me. Umm have any of you seen my beanie?"  I asked rubbing my smooth head. "Lou it's just us here you don't have to be ashamed. I mean we are the ones that did it." Harry said. "I know it's just something that makes me feal more comfortable. Just like Mackenzie has her huge headbands." I said. Liam went to my bag they brought and gave me my greay beanie. I slid it on. "thanks."

**********1 week later******

"Please I mean isn't there anything we could do?" 

"I'm sorry Lou you just can't leave right now you saw how those pills made you feel and plus you are in the middle of treatment right now." Dr. Sefron said. "Come on I have been locked in this prison for a week. We can just get disconnected and stay an extra day. Plus we both feel fine right now!" I argued. There is nothing more I want than to actually go to this first concert instead of watch it on my computer. The guys left 3 hours ago to get ready and I have been trying to convince Dr. Sefron since then. "You know you are getting on a plane the day after chemo and can't stay." he said. "Please... This is a big deal I want to be there." 

He sighed. "Well There is this one thing. We just get these bags in that can hold a bag which means you can get chemo without having the pole. They have never been used before I don't know if we should risk it." He said. "What if you come with us?" I asked. "I guess there has to be a first person to use them sometime. Okay I will let you both go but under strict rules. You will both need to wear mask since you have an extremely low immune system right now. We also all need to be back here before 10 O'clock." He said. "So we can go!" I asked. "Yes you can go. We are leaving early but you can go." He said. "Thank You so much!!! Don't worry you will love it and we will be fine!" I quickly went out of his office and went back to the room where Mackenzie was playing on the IPad. 

"Hey Kinz guess what?" She looked up at me and gave me a questioning look. "We are going to the concert!!!"