Chapter 10: Back at it again

Beep...beep....beep...beep...beep

"Daddy make it stop it's been doing this forever" Mackenzie said covering the pillow over her head. "Kenz it's been 10 minuets." I laughed. 

We just got to the hospital again for another round of chemo. Usually the heart monitor isn't really a bother, but with both of ours in the same room beeping at different times it can get a little annoying. Sarah, our nurse, walked back in and noticed the beeps. "Wow thats annoying now isn't it" She said going over to turn the volume off on both of ours.

Mackenzie came out from under the pillow. "Thank you" she sighed plopping back to the original spot she was in leaning against me. We are sharing a room since she is now my daughter, but we have different beds because of the way she sleeps. I'm not even joking I think she is part ninja in her dreams. 

Right now we are both on my bed because the TV in front of my bed had a DVD player and we just started watching Finding Nemo. The guys had to leave after we got settled in to go do a signing but they will be back later. 

"Okay just like last time you will be connected for three days then released home. Same with Mackenzie." Sarah pulled my shirt down to access my port. She rubbed alcohol on it for 30 seconds then stuck the needle into my skin. She then put the clear dressing over it and went over to Mackenzie to do the same.

You could tell Mackenzie was trying to be tough because she was gripping her blanket really tight. I grabbed one of her hands and she squeezed that too. "You were very strong today Mackenzie. I am going to bring you back a very special treat in a little bit for being so tough." Sarah then left the room. When she left Mackenzie crawled up and laid her head on my chest.

"I don't like that part." She said playing with my shirt. "I know love but you were so tough. You didn't even shed a tear." I kissed the top of her head and Sarah came back in with a lolly pop in the shape of a heart. Mackenzie sat up and had the biggest smile on her face now. "Now Mackenzie I'm sure your daddy wants you to wait for this till after lunch so i'll leave it on the table okay?" Mackenzie nodded and laid back down on my chest.  That is how we spent the next hour and a half as we finished the movie. 

When the credits were rolling through both of our stomachs were growling. "Ready to eat?" I laughed. She nodded hopping of the bed still carrying her blanket. I put her mask on her and then put on mine so we don't pick up infections while getting treatment. She stood on her pole and I pushed her to the elevator just like the first night I met her. 

We got to the common area and got in line. I got a sandwich and Mackenzie got some Mac N Cheese.  We went over to a table in the corner by the window and I set our food down. Once we got situated we took off out mask so we could eat. 

"How is it Kenz?" I chucked at the little girl engulfing her mac n cheese. She just smiled and gave me a thumbs up with her mouth full. I grabbed my napkin and whipped the cheese off her cheek.  She giggled. 

After ten minuets we were both done with our food and I threw our plates away coming back to sit at the table. When I got back to the table I saw my phone had a text from Liam. 

From Liam: Hey how are you all? Did everything go alight? We will be there in a couple of hours.

"Hey Kinz can you pose for Liam?" I said facing my phone to her. "Daddy you always take pictures!" she said hiding her face in her arms on the table. "Please just one? For me? I'll get you that coloring book you wanted from the gift shop." I bribed her. I was going to go get her her book after this anyway but at least I got something out of it now. She tilted her head to the side and gave me a half smile. I laughed. "Perfect." 

To Liam: Everythings been good we just ate lunch. 

I sent him the picture of Mackenzie and locked my phone. "Ready to go get your book?" I asked Mackenzie she quickly put her mask back on and grabbed her blanket. I put mine on and got up. She was so excited she pushed her own pole down the hall to the store and I followed behind her. When I finally met up with her at the store she had already picked out a Disney Princess coloring book. "That the one you want?" I asked. She nodded head and smiled. I grabbed a box of colors and a box of markers and payed at the cashier.

We went back up to our room and I helped her get situated on her own bed so she could color. I slid the bed table in front of her and moved her bed so she could sit up and color. After I gave her her colors and markers I handed her her lolly pop from earlier and her face lit up again. "Thank you daddy for everything." She came up and kissed my cheek. "Your welcome honey"  I went back over to my bed and pulled out my phone. I logged on to twitter to post the picture of Kenz. 

@Louis_Tomlinson: My little cutie after lunch *photo*

Mackenzie was deep into coloring an Elsa so I decided to take a nap. I put my phone on the charger next to me and closed my eyes drifting off to sleep.