Chapter 27: Musical Therapy

(Johanna POV) 

They just brought Lou back from the test. Apparently he will wake up in about a week if we are lucky. I called Liam to tell him and they are flying out next week. They aren’t missing any concerts they already had a week break. 

I went over to louis bed and winced at the sight. His cheekbones were poking dangerously far out and his skin was almost the  same color as the sheets. They had to start to tube feed him because he was loosing weight too fast. Apparently this surgery had the side effect of a super high metabolism which means he needs to intake double the amount of calories to just manage a normal weight. For a normal person that would seem fine but since his cancer started off in his  stomach he is going to have trouble with that. He has to continue with the tube feedings even after he wakes up. I know he will hate that but it is impossible for him to eat that much food. I sat in my chair and held his hand like I had been doing since he came out of surgery. With my other hand I gently rubbed my thumb across his bandage over his head. It stretched across from his left ear to the back of his head. He didn’t look the same. He wasn’t that tan muscular 23 year old anymore. 

******I week later******

(Still Johanna's POV)

“you said he was suppose to be up by now. Why is he still in this condition?” I asked Dr. Sefron concerned. “Today was the earliest day predicted. It could still take a while. We are going to take the tube out though and replace it with a cannula in his nose to start to get him breathing on his own.” He said sliding his cart over to the bed. Nurse Sarah , who I have become very friendly with over the past week, came in to help. They both sanitized and put gloves on. Sarah gently pealed the tape off of Louis mouth and Dr. Sefron held the tube in place. He slowly slid it out and set it on the table. Then I got a mini heart attack (not literally). 

Louis started gasping. His eyes were still closed and he didn’t move but he was gasping like he couldn’t breath. “What is happening!!! He can’t breath put it back!!!” I yelled at Dr. Sefron. He just grabbed a cannula and pit it in Louis nose. “Louis you have to calm down. Breath.” He said. Louis breaths then became slower and it was back to normal. 

“What happened?” I asked trying to get my heart beating normal again. “He is cautious which is a good sign. He freaked out when he had to work more to get a breath.” Dr. Sefron said taking off his gloves and throwing them away. “So he can hear us?” I asked. “yes. This is a very good sign that he should wake up soon. You have nothing to fear.” He said. I let out the breath I was holding in.

“I suggest that you play some music for him now that we confirmed that he can hear. It’s called music therapy. Helps 90% of people wake up faster.” He said before leaving the room. I would try whatever it takes. 

I pulled out my phone and started from the beginning. What Makes You Beautiful. I had all their music in order from when they came out. I set the phone by his pillow and set it at a good volume to where it wasn’t to loud. 

***4 hours later***

Okay so we are currently at the end of Night Changes and there was no reaction. The next song came on which happened to be no control. I loved that song because it featured Louis and really showed how amazing his voice was. I was about to get up when I saw something. His face it moved. It didn’t just move. Louis was smiling. His lips were formed in a soft smile barely noticeable but it was to me. 

“Louis can you hear me?” What kind of question was that he obviously heard me. I let go of his hand to go get Dr. Sefron but snapped my head back around when I felt his hand grip onto mine. He start to twitch when right then he slowely opened his eyes. He first took in his surrounding then the started to freak out. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out and he started freaking out again. “Louis stay calm I’m going to go get Dr. Sefron!” 

I ran out the door and saw him standing at the nurses station talking to Sarah. “Dr. Sefron You have to come right now!!! Louis is awake and something is not right!!!” We both ran back to the room and Louis was sitting up panicking. 

“Louis please stay calm for me. Can you tell me what is wrong? Are you in pain?” He asked. Louis opened his mouth again but for the second time nothing came out. He had tears streaming down his face. Dr. Sefron stepped out of the room and came back with some tablet type thing. “Here type what you want to say and it will talk. I believe you are experiencing a side effect that effected your vocal chords.” Louis gave a questioning look then started typing. 

*Side effect of what?* he typed. “Your brain surgery. To get your tumor out.” Dr. Sefron said. His eyes nearly bulged out of his head. He reached his arm out and felt his bare head and bandage. He freaked out again. He looked down and the tablet and started franticly typing again. *I had a tumor in my head?* I looked at doctor Sefron. “Another side effect. Short Term memory loss. Louis there is no need to worry we got it all out.” He said. Louis laid back on the bed.

“Louis The guys and Mackenzie are going to be here in a little bit.” He gave me a questioning look. He is probably confused on why the guys are coming if he told them to stay. He finished typing and looked up.

*Who’s Mackenzie?*

Typing when I should be studying! Haha! I'm off of school next week so expect more updates :) Thank you for reading please vote and comment!

Also I wanted to say that if you are reading this on a phone I uploaded a couple of pictures that I didn't mention in the past A/N's. Not on the last couple of chapters though. I know it bothered me that I wasn't aware of this when reading other stories on my phone back then. You can see the pictures by going on the computer if you want. They are mostely of Mackenzie :)