Chapter 40: Long hospital day

Ally and I were in front of the bathroom mirror getting ready while Kenz was asleep still on the bed. We decided to let her sleep and we would just take her in her PJ's. 

"You know you don't need that. Your already beautiful." I said to Ally as she put powder on her face. "And you don't need that.to be handsome." She said gesturing towards my beanie. "I guess some things just make us feel more comfortable right?" She said. I nodded and kissed her head. "Lets get the little booger out of bed or we're gonna be late." I said sliding on the beanie and going to the room. 

"Kenz please get up we need go." I said shaking her shoulder. She opened her eyes, sat up, then closed them again and fell back into her pillow. "Kenz you can't go back to sleep come on little tite." I lifted her up and carried her in my arms. I set her down in the stroller Lou gave me last night that was to big for Lux. It was suppose to be for the hospital but I guess it about to come in handy. 

Ally walked out of the bathroom and chuckled. "You can never get that child up." She laughed. "She takes from me I swear." I said grabbing our bags and putting them around my shoulder. I grabbed the handles to the stroller and pushed Kenz out the door.  Ally followed behind me after she added her make-up bag to her carry on. We said our goodbyes to the guys last night so they didn't have to wake up this early. 

We got to the lobby and met Paul. He grabbed my bags to help me. I pushed Kenz to the car and put her limp body in her booster seat. I put Ally's oxygen tank in the car along with the stroller I just folded up. I followed Ally inside and sat in between her and Kenz. 

***

We got to the airport and I undid the stroller and put the sleeping Kenz back in it. Ally grabbed her own oxygen tank and wrapped her free arm around mine. I smiled at her and kissed her temple. "I don't know what I would do without you." I said. She looked at me in the eyes and smiled. We went through the airport and found our terminal. "are you sure you dont need me to go?" Paul asked coming up behind us after dropping off our bags. "We will be fine. It's a hospital Paul not a fan hive." I chuckled. "okay just don't do anything stupid okay?" He asked. I nodded. "bye paul see you in a few days." I said giving him a hug. "bye Lou." We all got on our plane and got ready to go back to Louisiana.

***

We finally made it to the hospital after the plane got delayed for an hour. Kenz woke up about halfway through the flight and is now wide awake. We walked all walked up to the front desk to check in. 

"We are here to check in for Louis and Mackenzie Tomlinson and Allison Grace." I said to the lady. "All of you?" She asked giving a weird look. "yes." I said getting annoyed. She typed on the computer then got the bracelets out. "Louis and Mackenzie you are in room 365 and Allison you are in room 832. I will inform Dr. Ryan of your arrival." She said securing the plastic around all of our wrist. "Thank you." 

We went to the elevator and Kenz pressed 3 and 8. "Do you want me to go take you to your room?" I asked. "No i'm fine. I will see you when you are out of radiation?" She asked. I nodded. The doors opened to the third floor and I gave Ally a  kiss. "Bye Al I'll see you in a bit." We walked out and I watched her wave as the doors closed. 

When Kenz and I got to our room there was already a nurse in there waiting for us. "I am here to take Mackenzie Tomlinson to get her scans." She said. "Just give me a minuet and we'll be ready." I said setting our bags down. "I am sorry but you need to stay here Mr. Tomlinson you are going to get an IV then get taken to get ready for radiation." 

"I'll be fie daddy I'll see you soon?" Kenz asked. I smiled and nodded. "You are becoming such a big girl. I love you don't give them any trouble." I said kissing the top of her head. She grabbed the hand the nurse was holding out for her and they went out the door. 

When they walked out Dr. Ryan walked in with a tray of needles. "Okay Louis we will start the chemo after radiation but I need to get you on an IV." He said. I got on the bed and stuck my arm out. He stuck the needle into my skin and taped it in place. He set the bag on the IV pole.

"Okay follow me and I'll lead you to the room."

I followed him out of the door dragging my pole beside me. He led me through the halls till we got to a room that looked like the scan room. I was looking around when I got a wire mask shoved into my face. "Sorry just making sure it fits." Dr. Ryan said going back to the computer and typing some stuff. I dragged the pole to the table and laid down on the paper. Dr. Ryan came back with the mask he had earlier. "Okay I am going to put this over your face again. It is extremely important you stay completely still so we can target the right places. And keep your eyes closed the whole time." He said going back behind the wall. I closed my eyes and after a couple of minuets I heard and felt the poisons rays going through my skin. 

30 minuets later I was woken up by Dr. Ryan. "You are all done and ready to go back to your room to start chemo." He said. I sighed and sat up. I stood up but collapsed back to where I was leaning against the table. I felt so fatigued that I couldn't even stand on my own. 

"Side effect. Let me get a chair." Dr. Ryan said. He went out then quickly came back in with a chair. I sat in it to tired for anything else. He pushed me back to my room and helped me on my bed. 

I saw him start to grab gloves and mask and needles but before I knew it I was asleep. 

***

I woke up again feeling a little bit better. I was just a little nauseous but thats the usual for when I am here. I looked at the clock to see it was 5 in the afternoon and I looked at the bed next to me to see it empty. I quickly grabbed my phone and texted Ally. 

L: Please tell me you have my child

A: Yes they brought her to me when they saw you were asleep. We are in the cafeteria now. Just got food. Want some?

L: No I'm good. Chemo is kicking in. I'll meet y'all down there though. Be there in a few.

I set my phone in my pocket and got up luckily with more energy than before.  I grabbed a mask from the box and put it around my ears. Of course my immune system is not very good right now. I went to the elevator and got in before the door closed. I was in there with an elderly couple and a middle age woman on the phone who looked annoyed. When we finally made it to the first floor I went around the corner to the cafeteria where I saw Allison and Mackenzie sharing a big plate of pasta. 

"Daddy your awake!" Kenz said coming up to me and hugging me. "Hey little one. How did your scan go?" I asked setting her on my lap. "I didn't cry or complain once daddy! They gave me a huge lolly pop!" She said extending her arms out wide to show me.

"And how is your treatment going." I asked Al. "It is kicking my butt but i'm okay I guess." She said. I saw she had her oxygen connected to her pole that was pumping a bunch of medicine in her. 

I looked down at Kenz to see she had pasta sauce all over her face and a noodle on her shirt. "Kenz you literally just started eating how are you already this messy." I chuckled wiping her shirt and face with the napkin from the dispenser. "sorry" She said with her mouth full. I looked at Ally and we both cracked up. This Child is something else.