Chapter 5: Last day

(Louis POV)

I woke up with a really bad nauseous feeling. I pressed the nurse call button but it was to late. I leaned over the rail to my bed and grabbed the bucket releasing the little bit of food that was in my stomach from the last 2 days. When my nurse came in and saw me she grabbed my bucket and emptied it in the bathroom bringing it back to my bedside after. 

"This is completely normal people usually don't feel to great on the last day. I am going to take you off the chemo now because I just got the timer that you are finished." She said putting on gloves. I moved my shirt over so she could access my port and she peeled off the dressing. She then started rubbing alcohol on it for about 30 seconds before she pulled out the needle below my collarbone. Then she gave me some pills and water to make me feel better which I gladly took. 

"Okay Louis you are free to go once your friends get here." she said. "I am able to leave this early?" I asked seeing that it was only 10 a.m. "I don't see why not you are done with the treatment. I need to go disconnect Mackenzie but I'll see you in 2 weeks." she said smiling going out the door.

I feel so bad right now that I didn't even notice that Mackenzie was not in the room. I guess a nurse moved her last night while I was asleep because I know I didn't do it. 

I decided to go check on Mackenzie so I slowly got out of bed and mad my way across the hall. When I got in the nurse was just walking out.I looked in to see Mackenzie was crying on her bed. 

"Don't cry love whats wrong?" I asked making my way over and sitting beside her. "My head hurts really bad and I threw up." she cried into my shoulder. "shhh it's okay I feel the exact same way. Did you take medicine?" I asked. "yeah I just got some but it still hurts." she sniffled. 

I laid back in her bed with her head still on my shoulder to help her calm down. I started brushing over her head with my hands and her crying started to calm down. Soon enough we were both lying there in silence staring off into space.

"Aunt Sally I missed you" Mackenzie weekly said whipping off her tears. "Hey honey whats wrong?" she asked while setting her bags down. "I didn't feel good but Louis helped me feel better" she smiled up at me. "Thank you so much Louis I'm glad she had someone here that can give her comfort. How are you feeling?" she asked me. "Not to well but i'm hanging in there." I gave my best fake smile I could. 

The nurse popped her head in. "Louis your friends are here." she said. I looked at Sally. "Do you mind if they come in to meet Mackenzie?" I asked. "No it's fine" Mackenzie was smiling from ear to ear still lying her head on my shoulder. I told the nurse to go get the guys and she left back out of the door.

A couple of minuets later all the guys pilled in the room and closed the door. "Hey Louis who is this?" Niall said. "This is Mackenzie." I said nudging the shoulder she was hiding her face on. "and that is Sally her care giver." I said pointing to Sally. They all shook her hand. 

"Mackenzie you don't need to be shy." I chuckled. She slowly lifted her head and gave a small wave. "Hello Mackenzie Im Harry and This is Liam, Zayn, and Niall" Harry said introducing them. "you guys and taller than the TV makes you seem." Mackenzie said giving a small laugh. The room erupted in laughter. 

We all sat and talked for about 30 minuets while filling out discharge papers. "So Mackenzie we are going to leave now but it was very nice meeting you." Liam said. "Can we all get a group picture before we leave?" she asked. "Of course" I smiled. Mackenzie and I were still in bed so all the guys got around us while Sally took the picture with her phone. "This is perfect" Sally smiled scrolling through her phone. 

"Mackenzie you will always hold a special place in my heart. I will never forget you." I kissed the top of her head and got off the bed. I looked up to see Mackenzie was crying. "Whats wrong do you not feel good again?" I asked whipping her tears. "No I just don't want to leave you." she sniffled. "don't worry I will see you again." I smiled giving her a hug. 

I went back to my room and packed everything I brought. Liam helped me with the bags and I followed him to meet the guys outside. When we got to the first floor I saw the massive amounts of fans outside. "Sorry Lou we couldn't do anything about this they somehow found out you were here and get out today. Put these on." Liam said handing me a pair of sunglasses. I still had a headache and was weak so this would be interesting. 

We got to the doors and camera flashed were going off like crazy. Liam put a hand around my shoulder reassuring me and leading me to the car. There were so any fans and paps around screaming in my ear causing the pain in my head to grow. They were all pulling my shirt and arms leaving bruises on my delicate skin. When We got to the car Paul was there pushing fans away from the door. I quickly hopped in the car and Liam came in behind me closing the door. The driver took off after Paul got in the front seat and we finally got away from all the screams. 

"So Louis what did you mean when you said Sally was Mackenzie's care taker?" Niall asked. I leaned my pounding head on his shoulder. "she is a foster kid. It's really sad because she needs treatment and the orphanage can't around it. They also don't except donations. They know she is going to die and everybody but Sally is doing nothing to help her." I said. They were all silent so I picked my head up to see they were all smiling at me. "Why are you smiling it is not a very happy thing." I asked confused. "Louis we all know what you need to do. You need to adopt her."