44. Camryn

My anxiety was very high, I literally had to take melatonin to make me sleep on the plane

My anxiety was very high, I literally had to take melatonin to make me sleep on the plane. I tried to get Harry to read to me. I tried to listen to music with him. I tried just talking but he finally told me to just take the pills because I was freaking out and he hated not knowing how to help me.

Usually Harry is what gives me peace but being on a plane to go back to Louisiana last night was bringing up a lot of memories for me.

I wanted a few days to just settle and enjoy showing Harry my culture. We stayed in Baton Rouge and walked around the LSU campus. He was so in awe of the big oak trees and I think he really liked the scenery. It was a lot warmer than the UK but still cold since it was winter.

I took him to my favorite coffee shops throughout the day and he fell in love with French Truck Coffee and I knew he'd love it. They were one of my favorites. Then, we went to Lighthouse Coffee which has the perfect aesthetic and amazing coffee.

On the second day we drove down to Lafayette and this is where I got really anxious. This is where I grew up. We made our way to the Air BnB that was downtown and I couldn't deny the nostalgic feeling of being back here after so many years and seeing all the new businesses opened.

We walked hand in hand around Jefferson Street and got coffee from my favorite shop, Rêve Coffee Roasters and sat down.

I get it, it's a lot of coffee but they have food options and other drink options. I opted for coffee every time which did nothing to ease my anxiety but I probably wouldn't come back to Louisiana so I wanted to make the most of it.

I always loved the industrial vibe of Rêve and it was nice getting to show Harry this part of me. He was loving it. The Cajun and Zydeco music that filled the streets on a Friday night and the buzz around us.

Things felt nice when I didn't think about the fact that we were in my hometown. We made our way to Lagniappe Records across the street when we finished our coffee.

This is where I spent all of my teenage years, flipping through vinyl when I needed to leave the house.

Harry and I were looking some records on the back wall and his arm was wrapped around me with his hand on my hip.

"Camryn?"

If I don't turn around, maybe they'll leave.

I should have figured I'd run into people I used to know. And I recognized his voice.

"Camryn Summers?"

Fuck, I really had to turn around now.

"Matthew, how are you?" I fake smiled.

"Good, I can't believe you're here. You just disappeared a lot of us thought you died," he joked and I faked a laugh.

I was being rude and I felt bad... Matthew was actually someone who was nice to me.