2. Uber

Spencer's POV

My fingertips grazed JJ's hand as we both scrambled to pick up the napkin. My eyes met hers, locking for a second. Her lips parted, but snapped shut shortly after, as if she decided not to say anything. Her eyes were glassy. She snatched up the napkin, discarding it on the table, calling out her farewells over her shoulder as she rapidly scuttled away. If she was trying to be subtle about getting away, it wasn't working.

I eyed the empty wine glass that was left at her table setting and thought back to earlier in the evening. She had drunk three glasses of wine, a martini and two shots. Immediately my stomach turned. I should go after her.

The speed at which I stood up from my chair, rocked the table. "I'm going to ask if JJ wants a ride. It's getting late." My incoherent babbling gave me enough time to toss some cash on the table, to contribute towards the meal, and get away without any questions.

I pushed open the restaurant door, scanning the sidewalk. I was awash with relief when I saw JJ standing outside scrolling through her phone.

"JJ," I called out, pausing for a moment to allow some pedestrians to walk past.

"Not now Spence. I have to get home." She dismissed me, without some much as a glance towards me.

"I'll drive you."

"It's fine. I'll get an uber." She desperately tapped the screen. Was she trying to get away from me?

"It will be quicker if I take you," I offered, pushing my hands in my pocket, hoping that me new position would help her relax.

JJ pursed her lips and dropped her arms in defeat. "Okay. But just to drop me off. That's all." Her final statement was like a warning.

"Of course," I shrugged. "What else would we do?" My mischievous quip was shot down with a stern look from JJ.

"I'm serious Spence." She rubbed her head.

"Hey," I stepped closer and caught JJ's arm, comforting her by patting her arms gently. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she mumbled.

I pulled her chin up so that her eyes met mine. "Jennifer?" My own eyes darted between her pupils trying to decipher what I could.

"I have to get home," she whimpered.

"Who called you?" I persisted in my line of questioning.

After a short pause, JJ conceded. "Will."

"And?"

"And nothing. He got called into work so said he would need to drop the boys off tonight instead of tomorrow morning."

JJ and Will had separated around six months ago. I can't say that I was sad about it. Will had not been my favourite person. Just someone that appeared out of nowhere, swopped in captivated JJ. I would tolerate him, but I never liked him. When JJ told me they were separating, I had to hold back my gratification. They shared custody of Henry and Michael, which is why JJ was able to come out tonight.

"Something's wrong JJ. What is it?"

"Just take me home Spence," she pleaded.

"Will you tell me as we walk to the car?" I hoped she would agree.

Instead, we wordlessly began pacing towards the car.

We were twenty feet from my car when JJ broke the silence. "I feel stuck," she confessed.

"In what way?" I queried.

"I...I..." JJ abruptly paused mid step. "Will has moved on. He's seeing Sarah now, officially. He told me when he came to pick the boys up yesterday. He said something about wanting to keep me in the loop."