26. Working late

Spencer's POV

I had come home early to bury myself in French literature, String theory, Beano comics. Anything at this point to stop being mocked by the mane of blond hair that sat I across from me. I was jealous that it was so close to JJ. That it could touch JJ. I had to supress these thoughts the way I had been doing for years.

I had hopped from seat to seat in my apartment, but after a short time, my mind would drift back to JJ.

I dragged my feet across the floor towards my front door to answer it when the door knocked. I hoped that it was the delivery room with the delivery of some more books to tied me over.

Mid yawn my mouth snapped shut when I saw JJ stood outside.

"Hi," I peered down the corridor, almost worried that someone might see her. I suppose that's what guilt feels like.

"Can I come in?"

"Yeah. Yeah." I stepped aside so she could make her way in.

"I just needed to talk to a friend."

"Anytime. JJ. Anytime. What's going on?"

She took in a deep breath and then breathlessly belted out her monologue. "I'm just going to come out and say it. I'm tired of pretending." She looked up at me through her eyelashes. "Spence, I have always loved you. You were my first love. At first, I was too stupid to see it, and then I was too scared to admit it. I feel like if I don't tell you now, I might burst."

The room fell into silence. Time seemed to stop. I was left staring at JJ. These were the word I waited years to hear.

"That's all," she stuttered, anxiously pulling at her sleeves.

I took a small step towards her. She didn't retract. I swooped her bangs away from her face and held her cheek in my hand. I wanted to hold her like that forever.

"JJ?"

"Hmmm?" She whispered.

I tilted her head upwards and leaned down, letting my lips feel the heat from hers.

I hoisted her up, and she wrapped her legs around my torso, our foreheads pressed together, our noses touching, as I carried her through to my room. I pushed the pile of books the I had strewn across the bed to the ground, and sunk JJ onto my covers. She giggled as the hardbacks clattered to the ground.

There she was. My JJ. In my arms.

It was only a matter of time before our clothes were on the floor and our hearts were in each other's palms.

We had been tumbling in each other's arms for hours, when my phone buzzed, vibrating the entire bed.

I flipped it over, without looking at the screen.

Until it rang again, twenty minutes later. I breathed into JJ's neck as I picked the phone back up and saw Y/n's call.

I quickly terminated the call and typed a reply.

Working late. Heading straight home.