69. Do anything

Spencer's POV

"She didn't do anything," Ben desperately announced, breathing into the receiver. Looks like he decided to ditch the voice distorter. Even he knew there was no point hiding now. But this was still unusual. He was too forward. Much sooner than I thought he would be. He was just blurting it all out.

I put the phone on speaker. I knew everyone was desperate to hear what was being said. "We already know what happened Ben. It will be better for you and Bethan if you stop this madness and turn yourself in."

"Bethan has nothing to do with this. She's just a child." Ben was quick to deny.

"Ben... Covering up for her isn't going to achieve anything. You need to get her the help that she needs. Coddling her or brushing her actions, particularly the violent ones, under the rug isn't helping her. It isn't helping you. And it isn't helping Y/N.""

Ben was fuming. "I'm not covering up for her. I don't know what you think you know but I can assure you that's not what happened."

"Ben... we saw the surveillance footage. We heard the audio recordings. You can't lie about them. We understand that you want to save your sister but like I said before this isn't the way to go about it. Just tell us where you have kept Y/N."

"No." Ben was lost. I could see the sorrow now as the walls closed in on him.

"We will find her, you know it. And you know that I will find Bethan. Is that why you sent her away? You knew we were getting closer."

"No," Ben shouted louder.

"Then why did you call," I shouted back. I was losing my patience. Every second he wasted was a second, we were further from Y/N. "I'll tell you why. Because you're scared. You didn't have time to think this through, and now you're regretting it. You don't like not being in control. You just want to protect your sister. So you say. But I want to protect Y/N and you're hurting her. Every minute you have her away against her will you are suffocating her."

"Why are you so concerned about her now. You weren't before when you were going off behind her back. I was watching her but by association I saw you. All the times you used her. Forgot about her. I knew your dirty little secret before you did. I never wanted to hurt her. But I think that you did." Ben was sneering through the phone.

"No, I didn't. I know what I did was inexcusable. But I still hope that deep down in her heart somewhere Y/N finds a way to forgive me. It might be too much to ask but I'm willing to wait. I hate that it took me losing her to realise it. But I would do anything for Y/N."

"Really?" Ben mused. "Let's test that theory shall we. Come and get her. Just you though. No weapons. No backup."

I was silent. Emily was shaking her head at me. This was against all protocol.

"Didn't think so." Even through the phone I could feel Ben smirking.

"And if I don't." My mouth dried up.

"Do you want to find out?" He jeered.

"No," I hastily stopped him. "Okay. Okay. Just me," I jested. "Where? Where do I come to?"

Matt and Tara simultaneously thumped my shoulder in protest.

"I have a feeling you're about to figure that out." Ben ended the call, leaving me with my mouth wide open. That was the issue I didn't know exactly where they were.

As if on cue, in the distance dog barks began to holler.

"We got her scent," an officer reported back.