38. Chance

Spencer's POV

Today as if by chance, there she was.

The team was investigating a series of disappearances from clubs in Miami. It was as we hopped from beach bar to beach bar that I caught sight of the familiar cascade of hair that shifted gently in the breeze.

I break off from the group without a word and wade through sweaty partiers, parking myself behind her. She didn't notice me until I tapped her shoulder.

She turned around and took a step back in surprise when she saw me. Her face dropped.

She was speechless. She just stared at me. The blinding strobe lights scattered around us.

I leaned down so she could hear me. "Can we talk?"

She visibly gulped. "No." She spun around, excusing herself from the group she was talking to.

I caught her hand. "Please."

But she was adamant. "No." She sauntered out, grabbing a glass from a tray that the bartender, knocking it back as she walked out. She wedged herself in through the crowd that was entering.

I followed after her. "Y/N."

"What?" She whined.

"What are you doing?" I gestured to everything that I had interpreted about her behaviour. She seemed different. Not quite like herself.

"That is none of your business anymore. Wouldn't you agree?" She narrowed her eyes in detest.

"It is if your being destructive."

She laughed to cover up her pain. "You're one to talk. You seem to destroy everything."

She stumbled away from me. Not because she was drunk. She was far from it. If anything, seeing me sobered her up. I think it was a nervous stumble just to get away from me.

"Y/N, you don't mean that." I knew it was the hurt that was talking. Y/N is the one that was always conscious of what she said before she said it.

"Yes, I do," she scoffed in hysteria. She readied herself to scurry off, but something stopped her. "Maybe you were right all those times you tried to tell you weren't a good person. How everything that you had been through had changed you. I always thought you were just trying to be humble but no, you were right. Hunting monsters slowly turned you into one. Prison taught you how to manipulate. Drugs taught you how to lie. Your psychopaths taught you to play games. But I can't believe that you tried to play games with me."

"Wait..." my mind was boggled. She was trying to get under my skin, and it was working. A little too well. She knew how sensitive I was about these topics.

"The thing is you don't even care." Y/N talked over me. Know I know that she was mad. More than mad. She was furious. Normally she was attentive. She would listen then deduce. "None of this matters to you. You think it does, but it doesn't. Soon I'll be a face with a name that's in the past. You'll push this behind you. You'll forget. You won't learn a thing from it. But to people like me it matters Spencer. It matters a lot. I don't trust many people. You knew that. You did it anyway. Again and again. Did you even once consider the consequences." Y/N paced back and forth, with her hands on her hips. "When did this even happen?" Then she violently shook her head. "Actually, I don't want to know."

"Y/N..."

"No. I'm done picking up the pieces that you make a mess of. You know better than anyone, not be wanted isn't a new thing for me. I'm a big girl I'm sure I can handle it. But you didn't even think for a second about the repercussions of your actions" she scoffed.

"Hold on.... Are you saying that's it? We're done without any conversation?"

"Wasn't that already obvious when I caught you with your tongue in her JJ's mouth." Y/N rolled her eyes. "Please stop trying to contact me. I don't have the energy to deal with immaturity. Someone at your big old age should know how to handle themselves."

Y/N climbed into a car that had pulled up while she was ranting at me and left me reeling on the sidewalk.

Emily had ventured outside to find me. She smiled at me in pity as she instructed me that we were going back to station.

I gazed down the road in the direction that Y/N fled, wishing that I could go after her. I slowly nodded at Emily and moped as I headed towards the car, my head down.