62. Alibi

Spencer's POV

Miles paced back and forth. While Faye scoured through her phone.

Through the menacing doors I could hear the crowd gathering outside. I knocked back another coffee.

"They're ready when you are." Matt popped his head around the door. He let Miles and Faye out first. "Reid. You, okay?"

I looked at him like a lost puppy.

"Focus Reid. You are the only one who can do this." Matt patted my back and ushered me out.

Little did I know I was feeding myself to the wolves.

I filed in behind Faye, as the three of us pined back to the wall, the large image of Y/N flooring us.

Up on the screen was the picture I had taken of Y/N on her last birthday. She was sat across the table from me, her smile illuminated by the candles and sparkler poking out of her dessert. Her chin rested in her hand, which she has propped up on the table. She looked alive. I choked up. I couldn't think about I was supposed to say to the journalists. Next to me, I knew that Faye and Miles were in a similar state.

Miles wiped the corner of his eye as he looked away from the picture, knowing he couldn't stare at it for too long. He had no idea whether he would see his sister again.

Faye was openly balling.

The microphone shrieked as JJ adjusted it. "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen, thank you for all coming out her this morning we know that you have all been waiting patiently. As you are all aware the FBI and the DCPD are investigating the potential kidnapping of Y/F/N Y/L/N. She was last seen at her apartment a little after 21:00 hours. This is an appeal that if anyone has information about the whereabouts of Y/N or if they witnessed anything out of the ordinary around the Rook's Garden area, we would like them to contact the tip line. Y/N's loved ones would also like to make a statement. Please understand this is a difficult time for those closest to Y/N, so please try to be as respectful as possible. Thank you," She stepped aside on the podium, opening up the space for us.

Both Faye and Miles turned to me. They needed me to do this. Y/N needed me to do this.

I took the stand, gripping the sides of the podiums until my knuckles become white. I cleared my throat and licked my lips. I spread out the notes that JJ had instructed us all to write. "Last night," I choked. I took a deep breath and started reading again. "Last night, someone... someone took my girlfriend, Y/N." I looked up at the journalists that were listening intently and scribbling away, scrutinising my every move. "No one has seen or heard from her since. There is..." I paused wiping the sweat from my head. "There is evidence that Y/N may be hurt." My voice broke as I said the words. "Y/N is a beautiful soul, a loving sister, a caring friend a selfless lover. We need to know that she is okay... We want her back safely. If you know anything. Anything at all that you think could be helpful no matter how minute you may believe it to be, please call the tip line." I crumpled the corners of my papers, squeezing my eyes shut, hoping this was all a nightmare. Opening my eyes, I was still there. Living my nightmare. "Y/N if you can hear this... You once told me that there was nothing in the world that could stop me from being me. But how can I be me without you... I love you. Know that we are searching for you. And I won't stop until you're back at home, safe and sound."

I glanced at Miles. He hesitated but crept closer. "My sister, Y/N, is one of the bravest people I know. I know everyone thinks that about their family, but Y/N embodies it. She has always been the resilient one. The problem-solver. The one who made things better. A few years back my wife and I got quite ill after a trip to south-east Asia. Without us ever asking she took care of our four-month-old daughter and three-year-old son. No questions asked. In my early twenties, I was the victim of a hit and run car accident. Y/N told me... that she would not rest until she found the person responsible. She kept to her word and a few months later she had found the driver. He was at my door apologising to me under the glare of my sixteen-year-old sister. She later told me that she wasn't going to let someone hurt the people she loved. She couldn't sleep if she let that happen. Y/N, I need you to know that I don't care how many sleepless nights it will take. I won't rest easy until I know that you are back home where you belong, living the life you deserve to live. Me and Naomi need you the cool aunt to Mia and Noah. Who else is going to help them with their homework when we have no idea what's going on?" Miles scummed to his tears and turned away from the cameras.

Faye stepped up, but she was voiceless. She couldn't manage a single word. I handed her some more tissues, which she gratefully accepts.

I collected myself and then asked, "If you have any information, please contact the DCPD as soon as possible. Thank you." I stepped back from the podium.

JJ took her place behind the podium again. "Now we'll open the floor up to questions." She nodded, signally to the first reporter.

"Have you found any evidence that might conflict that Y/N has been taken?"

"I'm sorry. I'm not sure that I follow," JJ frowned not understanding the question.

"Is there a possibility that Y/N left willingly?"

The frown on JJ face deepened. "We have investigated all possibilities and that chances that she was a willing participant in this act is negligible."

"Do you have evidence that Y/N is still alive?"

I gritted my teeth. These leeches just wanted juicy headlines. But each time they suggested the chance that she may not be alive my heart broke.

"Currently, we don't have reason to believe that she is not and are working on the basis that she is still alive."

JJ turned to the next reporter.

"There has been reports that family has been contacted by the kidnapper. Can you tell us more about?"

JJ nodded. "This is still an active investigation. But I can say that someone has been in contact, but we are still verifying all tips."

"Have you cleared the individuals who were last known to be at Y/N's apartment?"

"We have had cooperation and are currently striving towards that."

"Often disappearances can be associated with those closest to the victim. Have you investigated this possibility?"

JJ glanced at me, Miles and Faye.

"Answer the question agent," a series of reporters chanted.

"We know that there had been a rift in the relationship between Spencer Reid and Y/F/N Y/L/N." Another accused.

"Does Dr Reid have an alibi?"

"I have source that can confirm an altercation between Y/N and Dr Reid the day prior to her disappearance." So, people from the hotel can call the press but not people who have actual vital information.

"This is getting out of hand," Matt's voice was muffled by the persistent questions.

He sauntered over and whispered in JJ's ear.

She nodded in response.

Matt herded me, Miles and Faye out just as JJ began firmly scolding the reports.

Emily mouth was turned downwards as she jogged over to us. "Mr Y/L/N please don't take what the reporters said litera..."

Miles raised his palm to sop her form talking.

Emily's mouth immediately snapped shut.

"I'm angry. Not stupid. Even though I blame Spencer for not protecting Y/N. I don't think he would ever inflict physical harm to her." He looked back at me, his shoulders slumping. "I need some air."

Miles was never able to go though. Just as he brushed past me a panicked officer collided into him.

"Sorry Sir," he panted.

"What's wrong Sawyer?" Will queried.

"There's a call..." The Officer panted between each word. "She wants to speak to Dr Reid." Our lack of action panicked the Officer more. "It's Y/N..."