65. The Recording

Penelope pointed at the screen and cranked up the volume. We all gathered around. Our eyes fixe to the screen. It was so silent as we waited that we could hear the clock from outside the room ticking.

The screen lit up and the visual of Y/N empty apartment filled the screen. The camera was positioned somewhere in the bookshelf, giving a clear view of the front door, part of the kitchen and a glimpse down the hallway.

An excited knock disturbed the calm.

The soft padding of Y/N's slipper clad feet.

The unclicking of the door.

"Hi." Ben smile was huge and spread over his entire face.

"Um... Hi Ben. Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, yeah it's great." Ben glanced to the left and to the right. "Can I talk to you? ... Now, if you have time."

Y/N looked down at her watch as if to object, but she conceded. "Sure." She held the door open wider, letting Ben in. "Is there something going on with building maintenance today?"

Ben stepped inside. "Huh?" He was jittery. Almost bouncing up and down on the spot.

"I got a call and message earlier that someone needed to be in so that the engineer could get access." Y/N hesitantly closed the door. She looked Ben up and down, waiting.

"Uh, yeah. Nothing to worry about. Probably just general maintenance." We knew that was a lie. Ben had orchestrated this to ensure that Y/N was home. But why?

Y/N slowly nodded, unsure whether to believe him. "You sure you're, okay?" She poured him a glass of water and placed it on the counter closest to him.

"Uh huh." Ben was looking around feverishly. He spotted Y/N's luggage. "Been out of town?" He pointed to the suitcase and garment bag.

Y/N turned to see what he was pointing at. "Oh, yeah. A friend's wedding."

"Right. Did you have a good time?"

"I mean, yeah. I hadn't seen them in a while. So yeah, it was good."

"Good," Ben parroted. He then proceeded to drum the countertop. "Weddings are always fun. But they come with all the drama."

Y/N nodded in agreement.

"Would you want that?" Ben chugged the water.

"Want what?" Y/N looked up from her palms.

"A wedding."

"oh." Her forehead creased. "Maybe. I don't know. I haven't thought about it." She nervously gnawed at her bottom lip. "You wanted to say something," Y/N encouraged.

Ben gulped. "I've been... ummm," he cleared his throat. "Wow, I don't think I've ever been nervous before."

Y/N frowned as she stirred sugar into a mug of coffee. "If this is about sellin..."

"I like you," Ben blurted out at the same time.

Y/N froze.

"I mean," Ben circled the counter. "There's something about you, I can't explain it. I know that we don't really know each other but..."

"Stop," Y/N stepped back.

"Y/N..."

"NO, stop. Please just stop." She staggered back.

A third voice echoed off camera. "Y/N are you grinding the coffee beans yourself."

Y/N gripped the table. "Just one minute Ty, I'm coming. Just load the files and set up the 3D printer." She looked back at Ben. "Ben, I think you've misread all this. You don't feel what you think you feel."

Ben chuckled. "I can guarantee you that I do." He took a moment to think. "Maybe this isn't a good time. You're probably still trying to... heal after things ended with your boyfriend."

"How do you know about that?" Y/N was concerned. I knew we were both keeping a low profile and hadn't told many people. How was it that Ben knew.

Ben gawped. "I...," he stuttered. "Y/N, I like you. And that's a fact. And trust me I know because no one has ever invaded my mind like you have."

"You don't even know me," she scoffed with every word.

"But I do." Ben was trying to justify himself. "You can't lie. We are insanely compatible. Our morals align. I believe in hard work. You believe in hard work. You put your family first. I put mine first. You want to make your place in the world and that's what I want too. And I actually like you which is rare. I normally find most people to be unsufferable but you're different. Together, we would be a force to be reckoned with." Ben's excitement grew with each connection he made.

"I don't want that," she whispered. Then her voice grew louder. "I don't want to be a force to be reckoned with." It grew until she was shouting. "I just want someone to love me as much as I love them. That's it. I just want to be the most important thing in someone's life that's it. Why are people so hell bent on being destructive and making decisions for me?"

Ben reached out for Y/N, presumably to calm her down. She cringed at the thought of his touch and stumbled back.

"Careful," Ben cautioned her. "You're going to hurt yourself."

"Just leave," she screeched. "I don't want to see you. Leave me alone."

Ben stood, unmoving.

"What is wrong with you?" she pleaded. "What don't you understand. I can't comprehend loving anyone else."

"You haven't tried," Ben sighed.

"I don't want to," she replied in defeat. "I don't want to love anyone else."

Ben's shoulders drooped.

"Is everything okay?" The third voice, Ty, was back and closer this time.

"Just fine," Ben sighed and then left without another word.

Y/n only wanted me. All I did was hurt her. I didn't consider her in the grand scheme of things. I was speechless. But it didn't last long.

"How is this relevant?" Rossi asked, impatiently tapping his toe. He glanced at me sideways, shooting me disapproving looks.

Penelope played the next clip.

................................................................

What's your favourite chapter in this story? 

Comment below