19. Smile

Spencer's POV

As I held Y/N, as she slept in my arms, I couldn't be wider awake. She was so unaware of what I'd done. She clung onto me now, but had she known she wouldn't even want to be within 10 miles of me let alone 10 millimetres.

My brain was frazzled. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop what I had started with JJ, but how would I let down Y/N without hurting her. Or was it way too late for that.

From the moment Y/N had become a part of my life everything seemed easier. Did I want to give that up? Was I just using her for my own comfort?

She brought a smile to my face all the time.

Like when she agreed to go on date with me.

I had called her the day after we had exchanged cards.

I had been ploughing through paperwork at my desk, when Alvez meandered up to my desk and expectantly stood in close proximity.

At first, I didn't take much notice, but he stayed put. I slowly looked up at him, waiting to see what he had to say.

"Can I help you with something?"

Luke took that as his invitation to plant himself on the edge of desk preventing me carrying on with my work. "So..." he asked, giddy as if he were a teenager.

"So?" I asked raising my eyebrows at him.

"Are you going to call her?" Luke wiggled his eyebrows.

"What?" My heart dropped. I feigned that I didn't know what he was talking about.

"Call who?" JJ asked, looking up from her computer.

"Reid gave his number to someone last night."

"He did?" JJ sat up in surprise.

"Did what?" Rossi emerged armed with his coffee.

"Spence, gave his number to someone," JJ explained.

"Did he now?" Rossi sipped his hot coffee. "Whose enraptured your attention?"

Slowly, the crowd around me had grown. "No one," I mumbled.

Luckily for me that was enough to get them off my back.

"You probably misunderstood, Luke," JJ concluded.

"What... No." Luke was offended.

But it was too late, they had all written it off as absurd.

As they all backed away, I pulled out her card from my wallet. I inspected it as I flipped it around in my hand. I tapped it on the table. I rolled my chair backwards and walked out of the BAU.

I stood in front of the giant window that spanned the end of the hall. Without giving it a second thought I dialled her number.

But instead of Y/N's voice, I was greeted by a male voice. I was so confused that I glanced back down at the screen to see if I had dialled the correct number.

"Hello?" The voice asked again.

"Umm. Yeah... Hi. Is this Y/N's number?"

"Yes, who's this?" the mystery voice enquired.

"Ummm, Spencer." I cleared my throat. "Dr Spencer Reid." I repeated.

"Just a minute please." I could hear footsteps through the line and the next line that the male said was distant, clearly not directed at me. "Are you sick?"

"What? No," Y/N scoffed.

"Then why is a doctor calling you?" the voice accused.

"What doctor?" she asked.