64. Overview

Spencer's POV

It was overwhelming, the stakes of evidence that had been accumulated in such a short amount of time.

We combed through every piece of evidence.

"What do we have?" Emily sighed as she closed the last file in her pile.

"All the calls bounce of towers no more than a two-mile radius away from Y/N's apartment. I think it's safe to assume she is still in that area." Tara drew a circle around the area on the map with a thick red marker.

"The only way we are going to find her is by finding out who the caller is. Forensics have ruled the apartment clean of all DNA aside from Y/N's." Rossi read from the report.

"How is that possible?" I muttered. "There should at least me DNA from me, Faye, Bethan and Ben. We have all been there."

Rossi checked again. "No, nothing. Looks like it was wiped clean."

"We are still running possibilities that The Nebula Unsub has resurfaced after the short hiatus. I've checked with reports from other counties, and we have nothing yet. It also seems unlikely after such a short hiatus that the unsub would change the MO so drastically from execution style killings to kidnapping." Tara twiddled her pen between her thumb and forefinger.

"And the cartel angle?" Emily asked.

"You might think I'm joking but they seemed clueless. I don't think it's them, but Garcia is verifying communication between them to see if any patterns crop up." Matt and Luke had been investigating to see what they could find out.

"And then there's the matter of Benjamin Kingsley." JJ added.

"He has an alibi," Emily pointed out.

"It has holes," I muttered.

"It potentially has holes," Emily corrected me. "And we have to think about motive too. All the other theories have clear motives to back them up. Ben has a crush on Y/N. Kidnapping Y/N would not help him. And they are not kids in school. They are adults. He just liked her that's not a reason to kidnap her."

Eghhh. Emily was right. Just liking Y/N wasn't enough motive to take her.

"I've vetted all building residents to see if any of them had a history of violence given the obscene amount of surveillance equipment," Garcia sighed.

"What does this have to do with anything? 1 in 3 Americans have a criminal record of some description and it larger in major cities and metropolitan areas." There were just too many variables. Everything they are suggesting is just background noise to me now.

"A new resident. Theodore Mills. History of serial stalking. He has several restraining orders against him. Take a look at his victims. Physically they have similarities to Y/N."

No they didn't. His victims were all of the same socio-economic background, that didn't match Y/N's. They were much shorter than Y/N. And they all attended the same college in around the same dates. Which Y/N had no affiliation too. "It's not him," I huffed.

"We have to check all leads..." JJ intervened

"And I have. Will checked. He was picked up by his parole officer yesterday evening for violating a restraining order issued in Vermont. He physically couldn't be involved." I buried my head in my hands. "Play the footage from outside Y/N's apartment again."

JJ tutted. "Spencer, torturing yourself my watching it over and over again isn't good for you."

"We're missing something." I jabbed my fingers at the screen. I could feel the vein in my forehead popping out. "She was right there and then all of a sudden she wasn't anymore. How is that possible?" I took a second. "How is that possible?" I muttered. "Wait... She... must still be there?"

"Garcia, do you have the schematic of the building that we took of Y/N hardrive."

Penelope nodded.

"Show me, show me." I frantically waved my hands around.

"What is it, Reid?" Matt scrutinised the blueprints with me.

"Maybe we didn't see her leave because she was never taken out of the building." I trace along until I saw what I was looking for. "See this. A service route. Y/N mentioned that originally this building was going to be a hotel, so they have all these service routes that have been cordoned off since it opened."

Matt's eyes widened as he saw it.

"Uh guys, you might want hear this," Penelope was shaking.