48. Ring

Spencer's POV

Matt drove up and parked outside Cornwall House, where Bethan lived. Across the street, police cruiser lines the sidewalk, and I could see forensics, clad in their overalls, passing by the windows.

Will crossed over when he saw us pull up. "It's late but the sooner we speak to Bethan the better. You going to be okay Spencer?"

"Uh huh." I waited for Matt and Will to go into the building first.

In the elevator, I twisted my ring nervously around my finger. I had never noticed that I did that until Y/N had pointed it out to me. I found it to be a comforting action.

It was few months after our first date. To be honest we hadn't spent much time together since then. Between both or schedules we both had to cherish any small amount of time together. I had returned form a case and it hadn't gone exactly as we had hoped. Like always as soon as I came back instead of going to my apartment I would go to Y/N's, just to be close to her. To help me forget. But that night, the Chinese and chess didn't distract. The movie running in the background didn't enrapture me. Y/N gently threw a chopstick at me.

"Hey, sleepyhead, it's your turn." She took another bite of her food.

"Oh, yeah," I leaned forward and played my move. Then leaned back again.

"What's up?" She examined the board as she asked me.

"What do you mean?"

She looked up at me through her eyelashes, without moving her head as she slouched over the chess board. "You keep spinning the ring?"

"Huh?"

She sat her straight. "You know you keep twisting your ring. You always do that when you're in deep thought and you can't figure something out."

"Oh yeah," I chuckled, stopping myself from touching the ring. "And how often does that happen?"

"Surprisingly quite often." She hovered her finger over her pieces. "But usually, it's because of something to do with me. But not today." Y/N snatched her hand back.

"Is that why you always instinctively touch your necklace."

"Hey," she defensively gasped. "We're judging your habits here not mine."

I scummed to her precious smile. "I'm just thinking about the case."

Y/N cocked her head as she followed along.

"I should have figured it out sooner... I should have."

Y/N got to her feet and circled around the table, behind my chair. She placed her hands on shoulders, gently running them towards my chest. "You did everything could. I'm sure of it."

I took her hand on my shoulder, a rubbed my thumb over her soft skin. I guided her around the chair and pulled her onto my lap.

"You think too good of me." I trailed my gaze up from her neck until I locked with her eyes.

"Nope, just the truth." She was transfixed on me. "Why do you always do that?" She traced the buttons on my shirt.

Confusion made me narrow my eyes.

"Underestimate yourself. You are quite literally the smartest, most accomplished person I know. There isn't bad bone in your body. You would never have ill intent on purpose." She leaned into my, touching the tip of her nose to mine. "And I know that because I couldn't love that person if they did."

Matt snapped me out of it after he shouted my name. "Have you changed your mind?"

"No." I trailed behind them, lagging behind as they knocked on the door.