56. Recount

Spencer's POV

The police department was crawling with officers and detectives.

It was a relief to escape all the commotion when Will led Emily and I, into the viewing room.

We lined up at the glass, beyond which Ben was sat recoiling in the harsh light, spinning a bottle of water around and around.

"He doesn't look worried." Emily made a point to unmask her distain.

"He isn't." Will placed his palms on the ledge in front of him. "When we called him in. I think he was expecting it."

"Was he angry? Inconvenienced?? Irritated?"

Will shook his head. "No. Like I said. It seemed like he knew it was coming. In fact was practically here within minutes of us inviting him to the station."

"Let me get this clear, he wanted to come." I frowned at the thought. "Is he deliberately trying to be suspicious." I muttered under my breath. "What about his alibi doesn't match up?"

Will snatched up the case file from behind him. "In his statement he said that after leaving Y/N's apartment he went straight to Michael Dowers home, where his friends were gathered."

"And he didn't?" I asked.

Will clicked his tongue. "Listen for yourself."

The room fell into silence as Will left the viewing room and entered the interrogation room.

"Sorry to keep you waiting Mr Kingsley." Will pulled out a chair and sat across from Ben. He remained relaxed, presumably to continue to put Ben at ease before.

"Please, Ben is fine." Ben sat up in his seat.

"Of course. Ben." Will took his time to take a large swig of an unclaimed bottle of water.

I knew Will was deliberately building an awkward silence to see if Ben would be compelled to break it. But it was antagonising.

"So..." Ben fell for it. It not commonly known outside law enforcement, but often those with something to hide find it difficult to just exist in silence.

Will leisurely capped the bottle. "Right. Just as a formality I need you to go over your statement again. If you could retrace the steps you took after leaving your office on the night of the incident."

Ben recounted his statement almost matching his initial statement to a T. "After I came back, I parked my car on the street instead of parking in the parking lot. I was coming back to my apartment to drop my things off and get ready for the party but as I was walking into my building, I got the email that Y/N agreed to negotiate. I saw that her apartment light was on, so I back tracked and went up to her apartment. When I was getting out of the lift, my sister was waiting. I spoke to her for a minute."

"What did you talk about?"

"Huh?"

"What did you and Bethan talk about?"

Ben scratched the side of his head. "Well... uh... it's a little embarrassing actually." Ben's cheeks flushed bright red.

"No judgement here Ben. That's what the courtroom is for." Will encouraged him.

"I may have... hinted to my sister that I was interested in someone."

"I'm going to assume that someone was Y/N." Will resisted the urge to glance back at the window, even though he knew he wouldn't be able to see us. I knew he was predicting my reaction.