-11

Flashback chapter

The Potters looked around as they entered the Malfoy Manor. The Potter kids looked around in awe. This was the first time they were going to a ball, and both - Grace and James - were excited. They wore their best and fanciest clothes that they had.

James wore a black suit just like his father - Fleamont Potter - and Grace wore a dark dress that reached her ankles leaving her long hair open over her shoulders. Their mother - Euphemia - wore a light blue dress with pearls, which was her favourite jewelry to wear.

"Why don't you kids go and explore? Maybe dance a bit? Just don't get into any trouble." Euphemia said eyeing James towards the end.

Both kids nodded and started to walk around. James walked into the crowd and head towards the food table with Grace clinging to his arm.

"Why don't you go dance instead of clinging to my arm like your life depends on it?" James questioned his younger sister.

"I'm good here, thanks" She whispered eyeing everyone like they were monsters trying to get her. She was not a people person. But the problem was that she didn't know how to say 'no' to others which was her fatal flaw. So, when a brunette boy - that seemed to be her age - asked her to dance. She looked towards James for help but she saw him smiling and encouraging her to say 'yes'.

So, taking her brother's advice she nodded at the boy and took his hand, letting him lead her to the dance floor as Beethoven's four seasons started playing. Grace smiled when she heard. That was one of her favourites.

She swore that if you closed your eyes and listened carefully you could see the seasons change. James called her crazy but she stood by that statement.

She was brought out of daze when she heard the boy speak as they danced to the beautiful music.

"What's your name?"

"Grace Potter" She replied meeting his eyes. She liked him, and immediately felt comfortable around him. And that was saying something as that rarely happend. But when it did she knew that she made a friend for life. "What's yours?"

"Nice to meet you, miss Potter" He spun her around, and as soon as she was back in his arms he continued, "I'm Evan Rosier"

Rosier. That name sounded so familiar to Grace, but she couldn't remember where she heard it; however, she didn't care at the moment. She was just happy to know that she had a friend now, and that he would be with her at Hogwarts since they were the same age.

They talked through the whole dance and as soon as it ended Grace was smiling and very relaxed and comfortable around this boy. He kissed the back of her hand, gave her a wink, and walked off going to stand next to another boy around their age. This one had black hair, but unlike James', it was well kept and not as messy.

She smiled at the boy, but he just rolled his eyes and turned to Evan. She frowned but brushed it off, going towards James.

"So?" James nudged her.

"So what?" She asked.

"Sooo, how was it? You finally talked to someone, and you're not going to tell me?" He egged her on.

"I mean...he was nice. I liked dancing with him. And I think that he'll be a good friend for when we go to Hogwarts" She said shrugging.

"Okay then. And you guys danced to your favourite classical song, so that's a bonus"

"Yep"

🥀

Grace hugged her brother at platfor nine and three quarters. He was finally going for his first year of Hogwarts, and she was going to be all alone at home. Sure she had her parents but they were out on Auror business most nights, and she would always go to James' room because she was scared of being all alone in the large empty house.

"Hey I'll be back soon" He said kissing her forehead before whispering in her ear, "I left something for you on your bed"

He winked at her smiling and wiping a tear that had fallen. He hugged her one last time before hugging their parents and going off to Hogwarts.

Mr and Mrs Potter hugged the girl as Fleamont picked her up taking her home. They knew how close the kids were, and they wanted to comfort Grace.

"Don't worry kiddo he'll be back soon" He smiled at his daughter.

"Yeah the time will fly by, don't worry love" Her mother moved her hair kissing her head.

Gracie nodded, but remained sad for the entirety of the ride back until she remembered what James whispered to her - then she smiled. When they got home she immediately ran upstairs to her room. She smiled when she saw a box wrapped in red wrapping paper with a golden bow around it.

She laughed and immediately jumped on the bed carefully opening it. When she removed the wrapping she noticed a note on top of the box.

To Gracie,

Here's something to hold at night for when I'm not there. Especially when mom and dad leave. I'm sorry I had to go to Hogwarts. I would sneak you in but I don't know how to....

Just hold it at night and as long as you have it you'll be safe from the outside world.

I love you Gracie :) take care! I'll be back soon.

Your brother,
James

She was crying by the end of the note before realising that she hadn't opened the box yet. She wiped the tears and moved the cap off. When she did, she smiled. It was a teddy bear. It was a red one with black beads for eyes, a red bow around its neck, and white around its mouth.

She loved it. She hugged it, and everyday she would sleep with it thinking that nothing would harm her as long as she held the bear in her arms.

AN: Another flashback chapter for you guys :))

Hope you guys are liking the story so far! And thank you for 426 reads <333