-30

Flashback chapter

Summer break

Regulus stood next to the drinks table avoiding all of his parents' 'friends' and instead drinking with Evan and Barty while Pandora and Charlotte danced with some random boys from drumstrang.  

The only reason they were having this ball is because his and Sirius' sister - Riah - was coming back from Beauxbatons with two other friends: the Nott twins. Of course Sirius doesn't know any of this considering the fact that he ran away to the Potters and cut off any and all communication with his family.

Regulus still hadn't forgiven his brother for leaving but he scolded himself every time he remembered Sirius. Besides was it not Regulus who chose to stay? Was it not him that pushed Sirius out the door and closing it again breaking one of the wards alerting his parents? In his defense he did try to run back to his room as quickly and quietly as possible but his parents caught him and this time there was no Sirius to protect him or take the fall for him; he was all alone.

The ballroom looked no different than all the other ones he'd been to. Three grand chandeliers hung from the ceiling illuminating the room in its orange glow while couples of all shapes and sizes danced underneath it to the classical music that was being played by a wizarding band.

This ball was only for the pureblood families who had a long line of Slytherins and that means that the Potters, Meadowes, Mckinonns, Lexingtons, Pettigrews and some other families were not invited and nor were they aware of a ball even taking place.

His eyes darted to the grand door when he heard it open and for the first time in weeks he smiled a genuine smile when he saw his younger sister walk through the door in her green dress with her black hair tied in a braid crown. Her grey eyes scanned the room and stopped when they met his. Smiling, she made her way over to her twin brother followed by two other people who he assumed were the Nott twins.

"Hello, little sister," Regulus greeted. "Must you always insist on a dramatically grand entrance?"

"I'm only younger than you by eleven minutes, Regulus, and you know I like to be fashionably late," Riah retorted, her french accent was clear due to all the years she spent in France. "Now are you going to give your sister who, might I add, you haven't seen in six years, a hug?" 

Regulus chuckled pulling his sister in a warm hug as he felt himself relax, "I missed you, Ri."

"I missed you too, Reggie," Riah felt her own tense figure relax the moment Regulus hugged her. She buried her head in his chest not wanting to leave.

They were forced to break apart when one of the boy behind her cleared his throat.

"Oh right," Riah smiled looking back at the twins behind her before pointing at the boy, "Reggie this is Theo Nott and his twin sister," - she pointed to the girl next to Theo - "Amaya Nott."

Regulus nodded, "Nice to meet you."

Before any of the four teenagers could get a chance to speak Walburga Black stopped in front of them.

"Riah, darling, you're back. Very good. I need to introduce you to some people, come along. And bring the Nott boy we need to finalize your engagement." She said in a sweet tone with a smile on her face, but both Riah and Regulus knew better than to fall for her act. However, they also knew not listening to their mother would cause dire consequences which Regulus knew of all too well. He wasn't going to let his sister suffer that fate like him and Sirius so he nodded at her and she walked off with her arm around the Nott boy. 

He knew about the engagement but didn't get the chance to talk to his sister about it or threaten the Nott boy. He decided to do that later. He rolled his eyes watching his mother introduce his sister to anyone who would listen. She didn't even glance at him but Regulus was so used to it that he couldn't care less. 

"You want to dance?" Amaya asked and Regulus immediately turned towards her forgetting that she was standing there. 

"I'd rather not," He replied curtly.

"What a gentleman," She rolled her eyes, folding her hands over her chest. "Alright what's her name?"

"What?" Regulus frowned not knowing what she meant.

"The girl," The Nott girl repeated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "The one you're hung up over but apparently it looks like you two are having some problems. Am I right, or am I right?"

"You're..." He hesitated not knowing how she knew and what to say to that blunt accusation before he gave in and sighed, "You're right. There is a girl but I'm not telling you anything else."

"No problem." She shrugged. "I don't need to know the details, but what if I say that I can help you with your little girl problem?" 

Regulus raised his brow, "And how do you plan on 'helping me'?"

"We pretend." She smiled.

"Pretend what? To date?" He laughed and looked at her like she was crazy. 

"Yes exactly. That's not the only thing though we can also do other things if you want-" She started walking towards him. "It doesn't even have to mean anything."

"You're crazy." Regulus rolled his eyes. 

He was hesitant because he knew Grace and he knew that if he agreed to this absurd arrangement that there's a chance she wouldn't forgive him, but he so badly wanted her back that he was willing to do anything at this point.

He started remembering his little arrangement with Grace and he smiled a ghost of a smile while there was a sad look in his eyes. He also remembered that she was mad at him for something - that he still couldn't figure out - putting an end to their arrangement.

After a few minutes of thinking he finally agreed but decided to set a few ground rules.

AN: And that's another chapter!!! Wow I didn't think I'd get this far into writing the fic without giving up-  

Not gonna lie I'm kinda proud of myself.

Also thank you so much for 2.5k reads and 118 votes!!!