001 | the shot boy.

Since the apocalypse had began, things were different

Since the apocalypse had began, things were different. people had been lost, family members, friends, husbands, wives. even ashley had been bitten on her way home from her shift at her local diner. she passed away soon after. reggie didn't know where she was, he knew she'd be roaming around somewhere out there, though, just like the rest of the dead. it filled him with unease to know that she was out there, but there was nothing he could do about it. she had been his best friend since they were in diapers. he wished he was brave enough to go out there and find her, just to put her down, or bring her back into the barn that his father filled up with the dead, holding them there until there was a cure — but he wasn't brave.

reggie sat on the windowsill in his bedroom, his chin resting in the palm of his hand as he looked out into the distance. the sun was in the sky, shining brightly. it was a nice day. beth had just finished feeding the horses, and maggie was collecting the eggs from the chicken coops. reggie's job was to harvest the wheat, but he had finished that around thirty minutes ago. now, he was bored.

it was crazy how before the world went to shit, reggie never had time to be bored. during the week days, he'd be working a stupid amount of hours at the vet clinic, and then most nights he'd get drunk calls from daryl dixon and have to meet him somewhere. on weekends, he'd go to the pub with daryl. he'd party, and then it'd be the same the week after. he never had the most fun life in the world, but he was never bored. now, given the circumstance, he was bored all the time. that was fortunate. he wasn't unlucky to be bored. in fact, he wa one of the luckiest people in the world to be able to get bored during the end of the world.

his eyebrows came to a quick furrow when he noticed movement in the distance, over by the fields. reggie quickly stood up to get a better view. he couldn't see much because of the distance, but he could make out that it was a man wearing a hat, and what seemed to be a sheriffs uniform, carrying a child. reggie couldn't work out if the child was a girl or a boy, due to it seeming limp in the arms of the man. it wasn't those dead freaks, because those dead freaks didn't carry children, and they didn't run. these people were alive.

"hey, maggie!" reggie quickly yelled as he ran out of his room, yelling the first person he saw, which just so happened to be his twin sister, maggie, making her way down the stairs. "mags, there's some guy runnin' up 'ere with a kid."

"what?" maggie furrowed her eyebrows, quickly opening the door and stepping out onto the porch, reggie hot on her heels.

"pass me those." reggie said, grabbing ahold of the binoculars that rested on the porch swing. as he held them up to his eyes, he could see that the man was carrying a boy, and the boy was bleeding. the man was covered in the little boys blood.

"dad!" maggie screamed, running back inside to get their father, and coming back out with patricia, beth, jimmy, and their dog, a border collie named sulli that they'd had for years to round up the sheep. he was a good dog.