018 | we're all infected.

It was daylight out, and reggie, sophia, misty, and sulli were sat in reggie's car, in the middle of nowhere

It was daylight out, and reggie, sophia, misty, and sulli were sat in reggie's car, in the middle of nowhere. they had no idea where they were supposed to be going, and no idea where the rest of their group were. all reggie could think about was his dad. his twin. his sister. patricia. were they okay? did they live? did they make it out? he was thinking about daryl, too. was he going to lose daryl? what if he never saw him again? on top of that, his head was killing him, he wasn't feeling well. another thing, he didn't have the slightest clue on how to comfort crying little girls. he'd tried everything, but neither of them were okay. misty wasn't crying, but she was sat in complete silence with a certain look on her face, and reggie knew that she wasn't okay.

reggie had his head on the steering wheel as he tried to think. he really did pull the short straw. not that he wasn't glad that he saved sophia and misty, because he was. he would never forgive himself if they somehow died under his watch, but he wished he had somebody else with him, too. how would he survive if he had two kids to protect? he wished he would've had at least one more adult there, because at least then he had a higher chance. he had no idea of where anyone was going to meet back up, or where their little designated places were. he hadn't seen anybody leave the farm, and he hadn't seen anybody on the road on their way to where they were, either. he was shit out. quite literally lost.

"you got any idea where they could'a gone?" reggie asked, lifting his head from the steering wheel, looking at the two girls.

"no," sophia replied, biting the inside of her cheek as a couple more tears fell down her face. "i just want my mom."

"i know, i know. we'll find her, we'll find all of 'em. i just need you guys to think of a place where they all could be." reggie said.

"maybe the highway." misty muttered as she petted sulli who sat just below her feet with his head resting in her lap.

"the highway? why would they be on the highway?" reggie asked, starting up the car ready to go to the highway. he wasn't taking any chances. if there was a possibility they'd all be at the highway, reggie was going to that damn highway and having a look.

"when sophia went missin' on the highway, her momma and everyone else put some stuff out for her. they said they were gonna go back every day." misty answered. reggie nodded, and began to drive.

"good thinkin', misty. we'll have a look on the highway, if they ain't there, it don't matter. we'll look elsewhere. just don't keep worryin' about it, 'cause i ain't gonna let anything happen to y'all." reggie said, making both sophia and misty nod their heads.

reggie was a little nervous to go through to the highway, just in case it was swarmed with walkers. he wasn't the best at killing them yet, so if they got stuck in a herd, he was afraid to say that he'd stand no chance in saving the girls, or himself. they'd all be walker food in a mere ten minutes. even sulli, probably, if he didn't manage to run away. he ignored the negative thoughts in his head, though, and trusted misty's judgement. all he had to go on in that moment was a five year old's ideas on where her older brother and the rest of the group were. that's how far down shit's creek they had actually gotten. misty, a literal baby, telling reggie where to go. giving him ideas. it was all just crazy.