020 | a small touch of normality.

Five months the group has been on the road

Five months the group has been on the road. five whole months. lori was showing. she had an actual, visible baby bump. misty had no idea that lori was pregnant, and told reggie one night that she thought that lori was getting extremely fat, and wondered how it was possible if none of them had been able to eat. reggie laughed and told misty that lori was growing a baby inside of her. misty was mind blown, and it was funny to watch. the ground was all covered in snow, and it was freezing. the temperatures had began to get so bad, that they had to start using their gas in the cars to turn on the heating. they'd have to put the kids in the car so that they wouldn't freeze to death. it was a struggle, and it was all becoming a little bit too real. it really did feel like the end of the world as they knew it. freezing. starving. homeless.

on the bright side, daryl and reggie hadn't really argued since the farm. they had a couple of bickers, and daryl being daryl, but they hadn't had a fight that made reggie cry, or question his worth. it'd all seemed to get a bit better since reggie told daryl about shane. it was like he was more cautious with the words he was saying to reggie. reggie liked it, but he didn't like how it felt like daryl was constantly walking on egg shells around him. he wanted daryl to be the way he was before, but without all the violence and toxicity because that's the daryl that reggie liked. he felt selfish for saying that, but it was true. he didn't complain, though, because any daryl was better than toxic, argumentative daryl.

"we could stay here for the night, right? it's all clear." carol said to rick as they walked through a small house with no walkers. all the windows were intact, letting in no cold air, which was good.

"it has one of those old fashioned fireplaces that you use wood for. that's good, right?" glenn asked, pointing at the fireplace.

"you mean a burning stove, son." hershel said, patting glenn on the back. reggie snickered, earning a hit in the arm from maggie.

"this could work for the night." rick nodded, setting down his bags on the floor. carl and sophia grinned at each other, before quickly sitting on the arm chair. it was so comfortable.

"we have a couple of cans left from the last run. we could make a run for food again in a couple of days." beth suggested.

"i can go huntin'. it's easier to track in the snow, prints are more clear." daryl said, looking out of the window. "might be able to get a couple of squirrels, maybe a deer if we're lucky."

"i'll come with you," glenn said, putting back on his gloves as he stood up from the floor he was sitting on.

"all right. daryl, glenn, you both go hunting. beth and reggie, you two go look for sticks for the fire, but stay close. everyone else, let's start boarding up the windows with the newspaper there." rick ordered, everyone nodded and began to get to work.

"dad, can i help beth and reggie with the wood?" carl asked, as he sat up on the armchair where he still sat.

"i need you to help me board up the windows." rick said, "it's cold out there, you'll be better off in here. don't argue on that."