027 | done for good.

Daryl was outside, stood next to marcus

Daryl was outside, stood next to marcus. it was taking everything in him not to hit him straight across the face, that smug face that daryl hated so much. he held himself together, though. he still had misty in his arms, sat on his hip. she wanted to get down a while ago, but he wouldn't let her until he knew that everything was safe. to misty, though, it was weird. she didn't know that daryl had a care in the world on if she was safe or not. usually, daryl would tell her that she had to learn how to protect herself, but then she was trying to protect herself, and he swooped her up and protected her. he wouldn't let her down, and that confused misty. daryl had never even hugged her before, not that she could remember. she was sure daryl hugged her as a baby, but not when she was older.

he had found the bandana that carol had been wearing, too. they also found t-dog's body. sophia was in hysterics. beth was helping her. reggie, maggie, lori, and carl were out yet. daryl couldn't stop his mind from racing at one thousand miles per hour. he needed reggie to walk out of that prison. he needed him to be alive. if he lost reggie, he wouldn't know what to do with himself. he couldn't lose reggie. reggie was the only person that kept him sane in that fucked up world. he didn't treat him the best, but the last thing he would ever want was for him to die. especially if they were on bad terms. daryl wasn't sure that he'd be able to forgive himself if reggie died thinking that daryl hated him. daryl didn't hate him. it was quite the opposite, actually. it was just unfortunate that the prisoners had proved themselves to the group, which meant that marcus would be around more often. daryl didn't like that at all.

then, though, an infant's cry.

reggie walked out, a baby in his arms, wrapped in carl's jacket as a makeshift blanket. his sweater was covered in blood. maggie and carl walked sadly behind him. daryl let out a breath of relief, as he put misty down. misty just couldn't believe there was a baby near her. she had never seen a baby before. she couldn't wait to hold it and introduce it to teamberton. she wondered if the baby would like teamberton as much as she did. she wondered if the baby would like dogs, and monkeys, and purple, and bunnies, and toy story, and— oh boy, it was just so exciting. but then, she realised that babies were supposed to have their momma's. where was lori, and why was reggie holding the baby? the baby wasn't reggie's.

reggie looked at rick, trying to get his words out. he didn't know how he was going to tell rick that his wife was dead. he didn't know how he was gonna tell rick that his son shot her. he couldn't. he tried to talk, but all that came out were pathetic stutters. it got even worse when marcus made his way over to him, wrapping his arm around his shoulder. he needed the baby out of his arms. he didn't want it in his arms. he couldn't. the sound of it's cry, the echoing of lori's screams even though she was dead, it was all too much. he needed someone to take the kid. he was going to faint.

"where is— where i— where is she?" rick asked reggie, almost in tears as if he knew what reggie was going to say.

"no, rick, no!" maggie cried, as rick tried to walk into the prison. it was a pathetic attempt, though, because he walked past her.