Chapter 32

Carter~

Under the shadowy veil of twilight, I concealed myself behind a colossal shipping container nestled on the edge of the bustling docks. The salty sea air filled my lungs, blending with the metallic aroma of the container walls. My heart pounded in my chest like a relentless metronome, a stark reminder of the task at hand. I was there to sabotage a delivery of my dearest father which I was made aware of thanks to Amaryllis and Emilia.

The men's boat slowly approached the shore, gracefully gliding through the calm waters. As the vessel docked, a sense of anticipation filled the air. The sound of ropes being secured against the pier echoed against the surrounding structures.

Amidst the bustling of the crew members, a large container was carefully lifted from the boat's hold and placed onto the solid ground. The men's synchronized efforts showcased their expertise as they maneuvered the heavy container with precision and caution. With each step, they ensured its safe descent onto the firm surface.

As the container settled on the ground, a hushed silence fell upon the men. They gathered around, their eyes fixed on the sturdy metal structure before them. I almost groaned at the lack of work. Why were they taking so long to open the damn thing? What could possibly be hidden inside?

The sound of locks being undone reverberated through the air, telling me that they started to open the container. As the latches gave way,  it creaked open, revealing nothing I had pictured.

A bevy of girls stood before them, their eyes wide with a mixture of fear and confusion. Dressed in clothing that showcased their vulnerability, the girls radiated an undeniable sense of innocence amidst the harshness of the situation. I felt the urge to come in but I knew I had to wait. I was outnumbered but that had never been an issue before. The issue was, I wanted to know why those girls were here and what my father wanted with them and for that, I had to wait.

They moved swiftly yet gently, assisting the girls in stepping out of the confinements of the container, making them believe they were being rescued to avoid dealing with them the hard way. They lead them to a truck- two trucks. "He usually gets ten of my girls." A deep voice which surely belonged to an older man spoke. "He got only nine this time. He already has one, doesn't he?"

"Yes." A familiar voice answered. Fucking John. "A beauty. Named after a flower." My fists clenched at his words as I realized what my father was planning to do. His annual fucking masquerade ball and auction. As if that wasn't the worst shit of it all, he had plans to auction off Amaryllis, sell her like he did to the highest bidder.

The second they left, I called Xane, asking him about the situation in Italy. He had been being the leader of the Italian mafia, keeping it a secret and pretending that the previous leader whose name I had forgotten, was still alive. He answered his emails, texts and the men played along. And the fact that my father hadn't yet realized that the previous leader was dead, further proved that he was doing a good fucking work even though he kept on texting me how he hated every second of it. Leading wasn't his thing. He'd rather be a free bird, as they say it.

Once I went back to Xane's house where I was currently residing, I thought of the way I could stop whatever bullshit my father had planned. Part of me knew there was no stopping it. I could save Amaryllis and I would save her.

The plan was simple. Invite myself to the masquerade ball considering it would be easy to conceal myself with a mask although, the chances of my father recognizing me were high. I glanced at myself in the mirror, thinking whether I should wear a wig or wear makeup but neither sat well with me. The only thing I contemplated on doing, was dye my hair. I was thinking light brown or blonde. Blonde. I always thought of how I would look like if I were blonde. I grinned, knowing it was time to find out.

I groaned at the fact that I needed to buy a fucking and a suit. On my way out of Xane's house, I chuckled at the shelves on the walls in his living room, remembering how much of a bookworm he was. A psychopath who liked reading. Don't get me wrong, there was nothing wrong with enjoying a good book but everything has its own limits. I was pretty sure if I explored every corner of his house, I would find a library hidden somewhere.

I used to taunt him whenever he grabbed a book and faded off to the world of illusions whenever he killed someone. He said it was his way of staying connected to his soul. Sometimes I wondered if he had a soul when we went to kill people together.