44

Fuck. That was what came out of his mouth the second he saw my back. He took a step back after releasing my shirt, letting it cover my back once again. I didn't dare turn around to meet his gaze. "Look at me." He demanded. I could feel his breath on my neck but I didn't turn around. I wasn't going to. Not after what he did. "Please." That was my undoing. With a sigh, I turned around to meet his gaze. I had heard Carter say a lot of things but 'Please' had never been one of them. "Who did this to you?"

I stayed silent. I wanted to tell him that his father did it but I couldn't. I wanted him to figure it out on his own. "It looks fresh. Who did this?" His jaw clenched at each word that left his mouth. "My fucking father?"

"Yes." I still couldn't bring myself to meet his gaze. I couldn't let myself see the disgust that I bet was visible there. Disgusted with me, he was. My scarred back had probably scared him, I thought. He lifted my chin with his finger to meet his eyes and there was everything but disgust swimming in those pretty eyes. "Im sorry."

"It's not your fault." It came out as a whisper. "Don't blame yourself."

His fists clenched at his sides. "Im going to fucking kill him." Carter growled, taking a step away from me. "There's no way in hell I'll be leaving you alone here with him. Fuck." He cursed. "I should have known."

"I should have known better than to take the risk I took." I took a step closer to him. He sighed, resting his forehead on mine. "Leave this place." His demand made me glare at him. "What?"

"Leave this place." He repeated. "I can't have you hurt because of me."

"No no." I sighed. "We're in this together. It's nothing I can't take."

"Together?" He took a step back. "This is my life. My fucked up life. You will just end up getting hurt."

"I already did. My life was no better, Carter."I almost yelled at him. "We will take down your father. That was the plan, wasn't it? It has always been."

"Then what?" His question took her by surprise. I raised a brow at him, waiting him to continue. "What happens after I take over my father's? You think you'll be safe with me?"

"I don't care what happens after. We'll accept whatever the future holds."

His gaze soften, gone the anger, however temporarily. "Right." He cupped my cheeks. He looked like he was about to say something else but then decided against it. He took a deep breath and pulled away from me, taking yet another back. "My father expects you to have information regarding me, doesn't he?" With a nod from me, he continued. "Tell him there's a race tomorrow night. One that I intend on attending."

"That's true or bullshit...?" He smirked at my question. "True and tell him you'll be coming with me."

"To a race?" My eyes widened slightly. "As in illegal street racing?"

Carter tilted his head to the side, a smirk forming on his lips. "Hmm."

"You just got out of prison." I reasoned. "Are you sure this is a good idea? To do illegal things?"

He shrugged. "My life is illegal in general." I didn't bother arguing with his statement. It wasn't a lie. His life was sort of illegal. After all, he was the heir of a powerful mafia and he has killed before. "So, will you come with?"

I nodded, "Yes. If your father let me even get out of the house..." I frowned knowing that he might not let me leave my cage. "I'll tell him you'll come with me." He simply said like it was no big deal and maybe, it wasn't for him. But for me? It kind of was. Would things be different now that Carter returned? I had yet to hear from my father. I wished I could say I was worried about him but that would have been a big life. I wasn't even concerned about my dad. Did that make me a bad person? Probably. But he was a monster.  I just needed him to pay the money he owed to Christian Hale although part of me knew it was impossible for him to do that. I started to think Christian Hale's death would be my only chance of being out of his radar and this whole thing had less to do with my father, more with Carter.

A|N

I apologize for not updating last week. I have been incredibly busy and truthfully, I was out of ideas. And this chapter has less words than the previous ones- something i apologize for... again.
This book will nearly come to an end unless new ideas pops in my head in the future.

Thank you for bearing with me. I know the patience required, trust me.
Thank you for reading and supporting me.
I appreciate it.