Chapter 33

Amaryllis~

The Hale's household was crawling with people. Maids, party planners, everyone preparing for the masquerade ball. I, however, was locked in my room/prison, not allowed to assist any of them- not that I wanted to, but since I had never been invited to a ball, let alone a masquerade ball, before, I was intrigued by the whole thing. Then again, I was merely a prisoner here. I'd do well to keep that in mind. Emilia, being the kind soul that she was, let me in on everything that was going on in the house. Although, after that revelation about an auction yesterday was enough to make me hide the whole day in my Cage- the most suitable word for it, I couldn't help but feel the urge to be a part of it. Not the auction thing, but the ball. The masquerade ball. I could only hope it was everything those Disney movies painted it to be. All rainbows and unicorns, without any mafia related stuff- meaning, no bodies and blood.

Shortly after, Emilia barged in my room with a rack full of gowns. Beautiful, breathtaking gowns. The red one hanging on immediately caught my sight, but I was hesitant to ask given that I wouldn't be able to afford any of those- completely ignoring the fact that I couldn't even afford whatever I was wearing.

"Sweetheart." Emilia smiled, gesturing to the clothes, "Pick one. Any. The makeup artist will be here any second now." So I did. I picked one. The red one. The exquisite red gown designed for a masquerade ball was a true embodiment of elegance and allure. Crafted with meticulous attention to detail, it combined timeless sophistication with a hint of mystique, making it the perfect choice for such a ball.

The gown featured a figure-flattering silhouette that would accentuate the curves of whoever was wearing it while maintaining an air of gracefulness. The bodice was expertly tailored, adorned with delicate lace or intricate beadwork that gave it a touch of opulence. The neckline was modest yet alluring, either in a classic sweetheart shape or a regal off-the-shoulder design, drawing attention to the collarbones and décolletage.

The fabric, chosen for its luxurious quality, was a rich crimson hue that exuded passion and confidence. It draped fluidly, cascading down to the floor in a mesmerizing display of elegance. The gown's defining feature is was its intricate embellishments, which lended a sense of enchantment to the ensemble. Delicate embroidery, shimmering sequins, or crystalline accents were strategically placed along the gown, catching the light and creating a captivating play of sparkle and shine. They formed intricate patterns inspired by nature, such as blooming roses or delicate vines, evoking a sense of romance and sensuality.

My eyes darted over to something attached to it. Completing the ensemble, a matching red mask was provided, adorned with feathers, lace, or small gemstones, designed to conceal my identity and enhanced the air of mystery. The mask was secured with a slender ribbon, allowing for an adjustable fit and comfort. It was amazing. I could never get used to this.

"Great choice." Emilia spoke, handing me over the dress. "Go get ready." Before I could my question, she said, "Yes, it is of your size. Now, go. We shouldn't waste any more time. The ball starts in less than two hours."

I raised an eyebrow at her, wondering if she was exaggerating by making me hurry with the dressing and all when there was 2 hours left for it to start. "You've never been to a ball before?" Is what she asked. "You have to be there on time."

Locking the bathroom door behind me, I removed my clothes and finally managed to put on the gown after trying to find the hole where my head was suppose to go in. Was it possible to fall in love with a dress? I loved that dress. I came out of the bathroom and a gasp left Emilia's mouth at the sight of me. "I should have dressed you up like a witch with torn clothes and all, but I doubt that would have made a big difference. You would look beautiful nonetheless and that is exactly what men are looking for tonight."

I frowned at what she said. Before I could say something, the door bursted open, revealing a girl with pink hair and a bag in her hands. "Hello. I hope I am not intruding anything but some guy named Spencer told me Here is my destination." She pointed in my room then at me. "Im suppose to do your makeup?"

"Yes, you are." Emilia answered for me. "I'll leave you to it." Then she disappeared behind the door after she closed it, leaving me with pink haired girl who looked friendly enough. I gave her a smile which she returned, gesturing me to sit on the chair in front of the mirror. She removed her makeup accessories and whatever else, arranged them on the table and plug a hair straightener in the socket. "I know your hair is already beautiful, But I'll curl them a little bit at the end only. Trust me, it will look pretty."

I just shrugged in response, not bothering to care about anything else other than the fact that I was going to get sold yet again, to a highest bidder. I wanted to cry but I knew it would only make me look weak. I knew I had to suck it up and pretend like I don't know what was happening, pretend like I didn't care but that was easier said than done.

About thirty minutes later, Chloe, The makeup artist, was done making me look like a doll. She didn't actually turn me into a doll, caking my face in makeup, no. She went light on the makeup, saying I didn't need it which I thanked her for, not really knowing what to say and complimented her hair which she laughed at. I could barely recognize myself in the mirror. I looked different, and actually felt pretty.

"Oh, before I forget," Chloe facepalmed herself, taking something out of her pocket. "Someone told me to give this you." She handed me over a small box containing a locket. "Must have been a secret admirer." She winked, glancing at the locket. I took the locket in my hands, wondering who could have sent it when I noticed, it could be opened. Inside, there was a piece of paper. I turned away from Chloe as she packed up her things back in her bag and opened the piece of paper. A smile made its way onto my face as I read it, instantly realizing who sent it.

See you at the ball, princess.
Ps, wear the necklace. It is in fucking diamonds.
~C.