Chapter 64: Prodigal child.

Nkosinathi's POV

I watch her and Andiswa clear up the table and disappear of to the kitchen. I love the fact that they get along now and there is no animosity between them because it would have been difficult to choose between the two of them if it went down that route. I need them both in my life and I'm happy they get along so I never have to fear if something will happen when they are alone together wherever they are.

"Asambe sobona ugogo." says dad. (Lets go and check on gogo.) We stand up and take the chairs and walk to the living room where we find gogo and my aunts sitting on the mattress. My grandmother looks drained. I'm sure she still can't believe that mkhulu is gone. We greet each other and sit down.

It's silent for a few seconds before my dad clears his throat. "Mama ubaba makanayo na incwadi yomufi?" asks dad. (Mama did dad have a will?)  "He did and he also had insurance and funeral polices." answers gogo. "Which funeral cover was he under?" "Avbob and Clientele." "Okay I'll make the calls so we can claim the policies then we shall start planning for the...for it."

It's hard to imagine that we are actually burying him this weekend. I know they say that a child should be the one to bury their parent but it's hard when it actually happens. I see Andiswa walking...wait she's walking. She's flipping walking towards us. Aunt Lwandeka stands up and pulls her in for a hug.

"This is wonderful." says Aunt Lwandeka. My grandmother starts ulululating and i smile. At least something made her happy this week. "When did you start walking?" I ask. "This morning. I wanted to surprise you guys after breakfast." answers Andiswa. "This is a beautiful surprise." says Muzi.

Umkhulu would have been happy to see her walking again. Sigh. At least we had one thing that brightened up the mood this week because we really needed it. "Umah ukubonile?" asks Mpendulo. (Has ma seen you yet?) "I'm going to her after this." answers Andiswa. My dad stands up and hugs her. "Ngijabulile umkhulu kube usho izithakazelo zethu manje." says dad. (I'm happy mkhulu would have been saying our clan names now.)

"Wena zisho ke." she says and we chuckle. (You say them then.)

"Hadebe
Bhungane
Wena owamila edlukwini lapho okungamilwa khona
Mashiya amahle
Mashiya amahle njenge nyamazane
Mashwabada
Wena owashwabadela inkomo ne'mpondo
Yathi mayifika emphinjweni yadlamalala
Umkhulu Bhungane!"

My aunts and grandmother ulululate and my mom and the others walk in. When she sees her she pulls her in for a bone crushing hug. "Soyahamba." says ma. (You can walk.) "Yes I can mama." says Andiswa. "I'm so happy I want to cry but I won't." We chuckle. "I'm happy too. Please don't take walking for granted guys ziyabuya ku wheelchair." We chuckle.

"Taking your advice." says Lindiwe. "We all are." says Mpendulo. "Okay let me go wash the dishes. Celebration is over." says Andiswa and we chuckle. They disappear and the room is filled with silence again. "Has the morgue called?" asks Aunt Smangele. "No they haven't called. They will get back to us tomorrow." answers babomncane Thabo.

"Please give ubabenu a dignified funeral and let there be no drama. He wanted a white coffin so as long as you get that you can do whatever you want." says gogo. (your dad.) "Wena ma do you have any other requests?" asks Aunt Bongiwe. "Just a dignified funeral and control the guests cause I don't need the pity faces from them." says gogo. "Okay we can do that."