chapter three: how unladylike

The figure raised his eyebrow and took a step closer, peering down at her with confusion. "Do you not know who I am, child?" He finally asked, his piercing red eyes glittering in the dim light of the main hall.

"I don't see how that's relevant to how you quote-on-quote "teleported" a castle," Evangeline responded.

"If you knew who I was you would know that my capabilities go far beyond teleporting a castle," he responded simply. "I am surprised that you do not recognize me," he added.

"Does the name Vlad Tepes ring any bells?" The man asked.

Evenageline stared at him blankly, the silence becoming a bit awkward. "..No," she finally admitted. "No it does not." Vlad sighed before speaking in a level and measured tone. "You are not from here, are you?" He asked. Evangeline nodded.

"That explains quite a bit," Vlad murmured "It especially explains your lack of fear. If you were a native Wallachian, you would be on your knees pleading for your life at the very sight of me," he said.

"And why would I do that?" Evangeline asked challengingly "If you were going to hurt me you would have by now. I'm not afraid of you," she whispered, her face illuminated slightly by the glow of the bright flaming torches lining the walls surrounding them.

"You should be," Vlad responded simply before cocking his head. "What is your name, child?" He suddenly asked, a faint glimmer of curiosity beginning to stir in his eyes- a flicker so faint that it was barely even there.

"Evangeline," she responded. "Evangeline DeCarmille."

Vlad cocked his head. "You're French, then? Your last name. It is of French origin, I believe," he said. "What on earth are you doing here in Wallachia? I am assuming that you are a noblewoman, due to the fine state of your gown, which leads me to wonder what a noblewoman would be doing so far from home."

"My dad.. kicked me out, kind of," Evangeline responded in a slightly sheepish tone, bringing one of her hands to the back of her neck. "I said a few things that he didn't deem very ladylike in front of everybody and he sent me away for two years to save his image. To make everybody forget about me," she explained gruffly

And then she saw it again- that faint glimmer of curiosity, though this time it was stronger, brighter. "What could you possibly say that was so unladylike that you are to be sent away for an entire two years?" He asked, a hint of amusement in his voice.

Evangeline sighed softly and fiddled with her fingers. "I said that I would never marry, that men are mindless pigs who are driven by lust and pride, and that the kings brother, Andre, was the worst of them all. I know it does not sound so bad, however for context, I was at a ball hosted by his majesty the king , and I said it in front of everybody in front of a silent ballroom, thus every nobleman in France heard it. Not to mention that Andre was my fiance," Evangeline clarified.

"Oh. Oh my." Vlad murmured.

Evangeline shrugged.