chapter forty eight: post meal pt 2

"Do you have any plans for the day?" She asked.

He paused, appearing slightly surprised by the question.

"Ah- er, no. I don't think so. Perhaps tonight I shall go to a tavern. Other than that my day is free."

She cocked her head.

"A tavern? You don't seem like the type to frequent such a place."

He raised an eyebrow.

"What exactly is that supposed to mean?"

"I suppose you're just a bit too.. fancy, really," she explained awkwardly.

He chuckled.

"If you're trying to insinuate that I go there to mingle with the peasantry then you're wrong."

"Then why do you?" She questioned.

"To find victims of course," he responded immediately, as though it were the most normal thing in the world.

She wrinkled her nose, visibly disgusted by what he had said.

He chuckled once more, this time at her reaction.

"Oh come on. Don't act as though you were expecting otherwise. Im a vampire. Of course I must feed."

"I'm aware of that of course," she responded dryly "But I can't help but feel bad for those people."

"What, would you have me drink pigs blood?"

"Even that's better than killing innocent humans!" She protested.

"You're only saying that because you are one. Besides, it's truly not too bad of a way to go," he responded with a shrug.

"What do you mean?"

"The process is painless," he explained "Aside from the initial piercing of the skin. If anything I'd say that the fear is worse than the pain. The death is quick and easy."

She didn't respond at first, and before she could, he quipped back up.

"You could come with me tonight. See how easy it is."

Her eyes widened in shock and she suddenly dropped the plate she had been drying off.

It fell to the floor with a loud clatter, echoing throughout the room.

Almost immediately, Vlad sprung into action, kneeling down at her feet and beginning to gather up the shards into his hands.

She followed suit, but he quickly pushed her away.

"Don't," he ordered harshly. "You'll cut yourself."

She blinked, a bit surprised.

"I'll be fine," she insisted. "I can take care of myself."

"You don't have to when I'm around."