chapter sixty: feelings?

"You tell me," she responded "I don't know what a vampire looks like when he cries. If he can."

"We do," he shrugged "I know, uncharacteristic much?"

"What would a vampire ever cry over?" she asked, her curiosity piqued.

"I'm not entirely sure," he said "I certainly haven't ever cried. But I can imagine others might over normal things. Loss, perhaps."

"What do you have to lose?"

He paused, his expression softening for a moment.

He almost seemed as though he was about to say her name, his lips forming an E sound before falling back into a straight line.

"Nothing," he finally said.

"What about your fancy castle?"

"I can always build a new one," he responded dismissively.

"What about me?"

He went silent, his eyes flickering over her frame. She looked beautiful. Her long blonde hair was tucked into a bun, the light hitting her face perfectly, eyes glowing in the sunlight filtering in through the window.

She looked like an angel.

He couldn't help but feel awestruck as he gazed down at her. It was almost as though he hadn't realized just how beautiful she was until that moment.

"I don't think I could rebuild you, if that's what you're asking," he finally responded, his voice slightly shaky as he struggled to tear his eyes off of her.

"I'm unique, nobody can," she teased, smiling up at him.

He felt weak at the sight- she looked so happy, so warm. Her energy had him shaking.

What has come over him?

He had been fine just a moment ago.

His hands felt clammy, his throat had dried up, his face had gone paler than it already was.

"I don't.. feel too good," he responded after a moment.

Her brows furrowed with concern, and the smile immediately slipped off her face.

It's loss was like a punch to his gut.

"What's wrong?" she questioned, leaning forward.

He took a step backwards- he couldn't have her even closer. That would only make him feel worse.

"I need to leave," he panted.