chapter sixty one: this man is suffering

"You don't have to," she quickly protested "You can stay, rest on the couch and I'll get you something to ea-"

"I need to leave," he repeated, this time sounding even more desperate and animalistic.

Without another word, he pushed past her, sending her stumbling backwards into the wall.

And so, from said wall, she watched him as he saw himself out, slamming the door behind him.

What just happened?

For a moment, she considered following him, racing after him and asking what had gotten into the man, what had made him leave her in such a rushed manner.

But she didn't.

Her mind raced with several possibilities- reasons as to why he would leave all of a sudden. Perhaps he remembered some duty he had to do, or was feeling unwell.

Either way, she decided not to dwell on it.

Instead, the light young woman decided to fix herself a cup of tea and read a book to take her mind off of the situation at hand.

Meanwhile, Vlad was not having nearly as much of a peaceful time.

He had shoved into the castle, his steps echoing beneath him in the great hall as he made his way into his bedroom.

Upon arriving, he found he had nothing to do but sit on the edge of the bed, head in his hands, feeling as though he was about to rip out his hair.

In his head he echoed a similar sentiment to Evangeline's-

What just happened?

His heart raced, his blood racing through his veins at an all time high.

She was so beautiful, so kind, caring- almost motherly, and yet so intelligent, always with a quick retort, keeping him on his feet.

She was perfect.

He had never felt so drawn to anyone- at least not in the way he had towards her.

Sure, he'd had mistresses, but he'd only really kept them around for their bodies.

But Evangeline was different.

He cared for her- he wanted to see her happy, healthy, loved..

Loved by him.

His eyes widened at the notion.

What just happened indeed.