chapter thirty three: a choice

They arrived soon enough, thankfully, as Evangeline wasn't in the mood to walk for too long.

The scene was beautiful. The clearing was circular, with thick trees casting a shade over the grass, which butterflies flew over, and off near the water was a bed of flowers varying in kind. Birds could be heard above and there was a sweet smell flowing in the air, probably radiating from the flowers.

As Evangeline stood in the center of it all, taking in the beautiful scenery, she barely even noticed Vlad and Victoria behind her, setting a picnic blanket out on the grass, until she finally was snapped out of it by Vlads voice as he creeped up behind her silently.

"How are you liking it?" He asked. She spun on her heel to face him. "It's beautiful," she whispered. "I think I'll take a dip in the water later- this heat is killing me, and it looks so refreshing."

He chuckled. "Perhaps I'll join you."

"Join her in what?"

They both turned around to see Victoria standing there. "I finished setting everything up- the food, that is- so I thought to come over and see what you two were up to," she explained, looking slightly sheepish.

"Ahh," Evangeline murmured.

"I see. We were only discussing the view. It's quite something, isn't it? This place is easy on the eyes to say the least," Vlad responded.

"True. I don't think I'd be willing to leave before lunch," Victoria mumbled with a chuckle. "Either way, do you guys want to maybe explore a bit before eating or first have breakfast then head out?"

Vlad was silent, though his eyes flickered over to Evangeline, as though he was waiting for her to speak. And after a few moments of deliberation she spoke.

"Um- I think, maybe.. maybe we should explore first. I already ate my breakfast at home so I'm not really hungry."

Victoria turned to Vlad. "Do you have any thoughts on the matter? We can take a vote."

He shook his head no. "Not particularly. I don't mind whichever option is chosen."

"Then you can be the tie breaker," she instructed. He nodded in acceptance and so she continued speaking.

"I think we should eat first. Im hungry."

She eyes Vlad in an almost testy way, waiting to see who he would choose to side with, but before he could speak, Evangeline cut in.

"It's fine, I don't mind. Really. Let's just eat first. We can go with Victorias idea."

"Aww, are you sure? You don't have to if you don't want to," Victoria immediately responded, softening her voice in a way that seemed almost mocking if you really paid attention.

"Oh, no, really, it's alright. I couldn't care less," she assured her.

"How darling! You're so sweet, you know that?"

Feeling a bit embarrassed, Evangeline smiled awkwardly, not making eye contact. She had never been one to enjoy being but on the spot in such a manner.

So instead of responding, she just walked over to the picnic blanket off a few feet away and sat down, waiting for Victoria and Vlad to join her.

A few moments later, she realized that they weren't coming, so she turned to look over at them, and unconsciously recoiled a bit.

Victoria had leaned in dangerously close to Vlad, their faces inches apart, and one of her hands was on his arm, gently tracing light circles on his pale skin.

Vlad, for his part, looked cool as stone, not a single emotion on his handsome face. He didn't outwardly react to her affection, though that seemed to only egg her on further as she laughed and whispered something into his ear.

Evangeline looked away.