chapter fifty three: tavern talk (pt 3)

"Really? You'd let me?" She responded.

"Why not? It would be a fun way to pass time. I'm sure you must be quite bored, out here in the countryside."

"True," she sighed. "The nightlife certainly isn't half as lively as it was back in France."

"Don't lose hope just yet," he assured her "We're a bit aways from town, however there are more than enough things there to do, if you so desire."

"Such as?"

"The weekly fair, occasional falconry displays, drinking contests, harvest festivals, jousting tournaments, and archery contests, to name a few. Do any of those perhaps interest you?"

She paused for a moment to process his words.

"Oh my. I didn't expect there to be so many options."

He smirked slightly, waiting for her to continue, which she did a moment later.

"The archery contests sound nice," she finally offered after a moment.

"I participated in one last year," he responded, taking a drink from his wine.

"How did you do?"

"I won, of course."

"I don't know what i was expecting you to say."

"I thought you knew me better than that," he teased.

"Any reason in particular that you like archery though?" he questioned.

"I don't know," she admitted. "I always saw boys back in France competing, holding archery shows and such. It would have been nice to have joined them."

"Why didn't you?"

"I'm a woman."

"Ah, I see," he responded, his brow furrowing slightly in a disappointed sort of understanding.

"I suppose archery wasn't seen as very ladylike, hm?"

"No, definitely not," she said with a sigh. "Maybe I could take lessons from you though?" she joked in a more lighthearted manner.

"You'd shoot yourself in the foot within ten minutes."

"Come on! You're just saying that to be rude."

"Me? Rude? Never! Quite frankly, Evangeline, I'm offended. I believe I deserve an apology."

"I think you deserve a smack," she retorted, raising an eyebrow.

"Cocky, aren't you, for somebody of your size?"

"Did it ever occur to you that you're just big?"

"Now you're really offending me."

She widened her eyes, realizing how she came across.

"That's not what I meant! I-"

He cut her off with a wave of his hand.

"I know. I'm pulling your leg. My gosh, so dramatic."

She grumbled a little bit before responding. "Rich indeed coming from you."

"Me? Dramatic? Never."