chapter fifty nine: kitchen talk

"Perfect," he finally piped up after a moment, taking a few steps closer.

A slight pause ensued, silence filling the room for a second before Evangeline responded.

"Did you hear? There's supposed to be a blizzard soon."

He raised an eyebrow, a bit startled by the sudden change in the subject of the conversation. Her little quip had seemingly come out of nowhere.

Regardless, he shook his head.

"Can't say I have," the hulk of a man replied "Though I wouldn't be surprised. It's already been a harsh winter so far."

"Indeed," she agreed "I can't imagine I'll be able to grow food for much longer."

"Many peasants have run into that very issue," he shrugged "I would suggest purchasing livestock- cows to provide you with milk, chickens to provide you with eggs, sheep to provide you with meat, and whatnot."

Her eyes widened slightly- a small indication that she hadn't thought of that. 

"I hadn't thought of that."

He smirked.

"Well now you have. I know, I know, it must be difficult to refrain from getting on your knees and thanking me, but really, it was no-"

"I swear Im going to stab you one of these days," she grumbled.

"It's not even noon. Seriously?"

"I thought you knew me better than to be surprised. I'm hurt. Perhaps we aren't as close as I thought."

For some reason, the thought of not being close to her, despite the fact that she was joking, made Vlads heart twist.

He found himself speechless for a moment due to said twist- a moment that Evangeline interpreted as him thinking she had been serious.

Immediately backpedaling, she spoke.

"Oh, no, no, I was only joki-"

"Y-yes," he cut her off swiftly. "I apologize. I simply was lost in thought for a moment," he said, quickly making up an excuse.

She shot him an odd look, cocking her head slightly.

"I mean.. okay, I guess," she finally responded, looking a little confused. "You alright there though? Your eyes went all blank."

"I can assure you I'm perfectly fine," he assured her "You have nothing to worry about."

"Uh huh."

"You take me a liar?"

"Your pants are certainly on fire, if that's what you're asking," she mused.

He was silent.

"I really don't know what to make of you sometimes, you know that?"

"I'm going to interpret that as a compliment for the sake of our friendship."

"You go do that, if it helps you fall asleep at night," he chuckled.

"Oh it does," she assured him "In fact, I sleep like a baby."

"In other words, you wake up screaming every hour and a half."

"You know that's not what I meant!"

He laughed quietly to himself before responding.

"In a literal sense, it certainly was."

"And in a literal sense, you're a jackass," she retorted.

"Ouch. Are those tears I feel in my eyes?"