chapter 17: day one

Meanwhile, back at the castle, Vlad found himself standing in the library, which suddenly felt much more empty without Evangeline besides him, asking question after question.

He approached one of the bigger tables and took a seat at it, leaning backwards as he pondered the matter at hand.

He didn't know Evangeline very well, so he wasn't sure exactly what her taste would be in terms of books that he could show her. He knew she liked The Odyssey, but other than that?

Nothing.

And magic? He knew even less about her taste in magic than he did in books. He was sure that Evangeline also didn't know her own taste in magic, as it was clear by her reaction earlier that the entire concept was quite new to her.

"Perhaps something.. easy. For beginners," he mused before standing up and roaming throughout the library, looking around until he got to a particular aisle in the back, long since forgotten- a collection of spellbooks that contained easier spells- ones that could make it rain, or give one the ability to fly.

It was nothing too major. He didn't want to confuse her from the very start, after all. They'd start small- he thought to himself.

And then maybe, next time he can challenge he-

What was he thinking? There probably wouldn't be a next time. This was a one time thing. He was just.. in a good mood, right? Yes, that's what it was- he was feeling generous, was all. Nothing more, and nothing less, he assured himself.

......................................................................................

The next day, Evangeline slipped out of her cottage , satchel at her waist, containing a notebook and some snacks. She closed the door behind her and started walking towards the castle.

She felt eager, yet also nervous, knowing that she was about to not only witness magic, but also learn how to perform it herself. It didn't seem real, and yet no matter how many times she pinched herself, she never woke up.

Lost in her thoughts, she almost felt startled when she bumped into Vlads doors, wincing when they collided with her forehead, bringing her back to reality. She knocked on them, once, twice, feeling a bit embarrassed to not have been situationally aware enough to notice something right in front of her.

The door opened immediately. Not even a full two seconds had gone by before they swung open. Vlad stood in the doorway, towering over her.

"Good morni-" she began, before getting cut off.

"Your forehead," he interjected. "What happened to it?"

Evangeline realized in that moment that the impact with the door must have left some sort of mark on her. Feeling slightly concerned, she brought her hand up to feel the wound, wincing at how tender and sensitive it was.

"Ah- I accidentally banged it on the corner of a table while bending over to pick up something that had fallen," she responded, quickly crafting a lie, not wanting to appear stupid.

Vlad stepped aside, allowing her to enter. She did a moment later, feeling hopeful that perhaps he had forgotten about the injury.

Until he spoke once more.

"Let's go to the infirmary."