chapter forty six: breakfast

When they entered the kitchen, she reached up for the cupboard, getting on her tip toes before he suddenly appeared behind her, easily opening it- a testament to his height.

Startled, she spun around, their chests touching as he grabbed an egg carton and handed it to her.

But he didn't move away.

Not until she awkwardly tried to inch to the side, at least.

Flustered slightly, appearing a bit embarrassed, his hands trailed unconsciously over the eggs.

"How many do you need?" He asked.

"Uhm- two, I think."

He pulled out two of the eggs and handed them for her. She shot him a slight smile before turning to the counter.

Pulling out a pan, she cracked one of the eggs on the edge and let the yolk drip out onto the cool metal.

Silently, Vlad moved to turn on the stove. She didn't even need to ask him.

She brought the pan over to him and he placed it over the fire.

"Scrambled eggs, hm?" He commented.

"Mhm. I'm sorry. I know it's not very fancy," she apologized "I'm living off of farm animals, fruits, and veggies. It's difficult to make a five star meal out of such.. basic foods."

"Don't worry about it," he assured her "I certainly don't mind. Food is food after all."

"Ah. You're so easy to please."

"I'm sure you're grateful for that, yes?"

"Definitely," she responded immediately.

He smiled before pointing to the eggs- a silent gesture for her to check up on them.

Letting out a slightly startled noise as she was shaken back to reality, she spun around and grabbed a fork to prod at the egg, getting it evenly cooked.

Soon enough, it was ready, so she picked up the pan and slid the egg off into the plate Vlad was holding for her.

They repeated the process with the other egg and Evangeline poured them some milk before they headed back to the dining table and sat down to eat.

He held her chair out at her, not sitting until he had made sure she was comfortable.

He pursed his lips as he began to dig into his food. Soon enough, Evangeline spoke up.

"How are you liking the food?"

"It's perfect," he responded.

"I'm glad that you think so."

He nodded. "How did you sleep?"

"Not so well," she admitted with a quiet sigh.

His brow furrowed in concern and he leaned forward slightly, his grip on his fork loosening. It fell down to his plate with a quiet little clatter, though he paid it no heed.

"Why? Was something wrong?"

His voice was laced with worry as he gazed down at her.

"I had a nightmare," she admitted, sounding slightly sheepish.

"Tell me about it," he responded, his voice softening as he realized that she wasn't too hurt or in danger.

"I was at your castle," she began "We were together in the library again, but the walls began crumbling around us. The whole castle was falling apart. I tried to get away but.. it was too late. You tried to shield me but I was crushed."