chapter forty four: an apology

When she opened the door, she found herself stumbling forward, eyes bleary, barely even open, unable to make out the vaguely humanoid blobs in front of her.

Until Vlad suddenly pushed past her into the cottage, startling her enough to get her to open her eyes as her heart dropped in fear, having assumed that it was some intruder who had broken in.

But once she recognized him, she couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief, knowing that she wasn't in any immediate danger.

But then she noticed Victoria, right as Vlad spun her around to look up at Evangeline.

"Apologize and confess," he hissed angrily, shoving her into Evangeline's face.

Evangeline recoiled, confusion and fear evident on her face as Victoria began to mumble. Quickly, Vlads hands went up to her hair, pulling it painfully, an indication for her to speak up.

"U-ugh! Fine!" She snarled with a groan, completely powerless.

"I lied, okay?! None of the stuff that I told you the other day was true. Happy now??"

Evangeline's eyes widened and flickered between Vlad and Victoria, overwhelmed by it all and seeking some sort of clarification as to what was going on.

"Wh-what?" She stammered out in response.

Vlads grip on Victoria tightened, making her wince slightly before she spoke again. "I lied! I wanted you and Vlad to stop b-being friends! So I made it all up!"

"H-huh? Why??"

Before Victoria could respond, Vlad suddenly pushed her to the floor, forcing her to kneel slightly.

"Apologize," he whispered, his eyes glittering with anger.

"I-I'm sorry! I'll never do it again! I'll never meddle with other people's relationships!"

His grip on her loosened, giving her a bit more wiggle room and causing her to let out a quiet sigh of relief.

And then he let go completely, making her drop to the floor in a heap, no longer kneeling.

"That's what I thought," he mumbled before turning to Evangeline.

"Do you accept her apology?"

She nodded, though she didn't even fully understand what she was nodding for. At that point she just wanted them to leave, and nodding seemed like the best way to get them to do so.

"Good," he said with a groan before grabbing Victoria again and hauling her out the door. He dumped her out on the front porch before suddenly calling out to Evangeline.

"Come to the castle in the morning."

And with that, he closed the door behind him, leaving Evangeline trembling in the living room, clutching an arm chair for support, with absolutely no idea what on earth had just happened.