chapter twenty eight: another gift

"Look at you. So thin. Let me get you something to eat," she murmured tenderly before dashing off to her kitchen, preparing a small cup of milk, and bringing it back to the bed.

She placed the milk in front of the kitten who began to slowly slurp at the liquid. A few minutes later she appeared to be satisfied, having stopped. "Hungry, aren't you?" Evangeline said with a giggle.

The kitten had been drinking as though it's life depended on it, which only made her feel even worse for the animal. She picked it up and placed it on her lap.

"I'm going to take good care of you," she promised, gently stroking its soft grey fur. Suddenly, her eyes widened as she remembered what Vlad had asked her- what would she name the kitten?

She peered down at the animal thoughtfully.

And then it clicked.

Penny.

"Penny," she whispered, getting a feel for the name, trying to imagine it on the kitten. And then she broke out into a smile. "Yes. Penny. That's your name."

Penny purred, as though showing her approval of her new name.

"Alright then. To bed we go," Evangeline continued, setting the cat down on her pillow, then laying down. She closed her eyes, her brow clearing as she settled into the sheets and slowly slipped off into a peaceful slumber.
......................................................................................

The next day, she spent her morning sitting in a corner of her home and reading. It was nothing particularly interesting, but she did feel rather bored and needed something to pass the time with.

Once she had finished the book, she stood up and yawned, turning to the window and looking outside. The landscape was beautiful, but her eyes flickered down to a rather unassuming part of the scene- her front porch.

There was a small box on it. Curious, she walked over to the door and opened it, kneeling in front of the parcel that had been left there. She pried it open, ripping off the tape that had been patching it together.

Inside, she found several things. There were a couple of toys that carried the distinct smell of catnip, a sardine can filled with fish, and a small collar. Her eyes widened.

Who else knew about the kitten besides Vlad? Clearly he must have been the one to have gotten her these gifts. She smiled softly, picking up the box and carrying it back into her home.

She set it down on a table, which was when she suddenly noticed something else- it was a small note pasted on the side of the box.

"Evangeline,
I would have gotten the collar engraved with its name, however as far as I'm aware, the kitten remains nameless. I apologize. Regardless, I hope it enjoys the gifts. Perhaps don't feed it too much fish though, as I've read that that can cause quite a few illnesses.
Best regards,
Vlad"

"Oh.. that's actually.. quite sweet," she murmured softly, almost feeling touched that he went out of his way to get her all of this. Her smile grew as she set the note back down in front of her.

Maybe it was time to pay him a visit.