chapter forty seven: post meal

"It was just a dream," he responded softly, his voice kind and gentle- a rare occasion for a man such as himself.

"Don't worry your pretty little head about it," he continued, a faint smile playing at the corners of his lips.

"My grandmother always used to tell me that dreams were signs- that they could tell the future," she protested.

He waved a hand dismissively.

"Respectfully, that's hogwash. There's no evidence to back up such a claim. If you stress so much about things as meaningless as dreams, you'll never find peace."

"I suppose," she finally agreed, though she still didn't seem completely onboard with the idea.

He paused, placing a comforting hand on her upper thigh, his expression softening as he realized that he had come across as rude.

"Are you feeling better though?" He questioned.

She pursed her lips and nodded.

"Yeah. It was just a dream. Like you said."

She raised her eyes up to meet his, and he immediately looked away, pulling his hand off of her.

The look in her eyes was intense, and as embarrassed as he was to admit it, he felt more than a bit intimidated.

"Eat your food," he finally muttered after a moment.

They spent the rest of breakfast in silence, neither of them breaking the awkward tension between them.

Finally though, they finished their food.

Vlad stood up first, picking up both of their plates in one swift move and bringing them to the sink in the kitchen.

She followed him tentatively, watching him begin to wash them from her position leaning against the door.

Once he was finished, she approached him from behind, placing one hand on the crook of his back as she reached around him to grab one of the plates and dry it off with a nearby towel.

He immediately stiffened at her touch, his red eyes widening in shock.

Instinctively she pulled away, suddenly looking embarrassed.

"Sorry! Are you alright"

"I- yes," he grunted with a sigh. "I'm fine. Thank you."

His voice was tight and constricted, and though she didn't know exactly why her touch had caused such a response in him, she couldn't help but feel nervous.

So naturally she decided to change the subject.