chapter sixty two: a decision

Immediately, he stood up, almost bumping into the bedside drawer as he did so due to how recklessly he blundered around, not thinking to watch the furniture.

He loved her.

This insignificant human girl- he loved her.

But she wasn't so insignificant anymore. Not to him, at least.

Everything had changed.

Meanwhile, Evangeline had settled on the couch with her tea, humming quietly to herself as she sat there.

Suddenly, she noticed dark clouds off outside the window.

It was evident that a storm was brewing, and by the looks of it was going to settle in later that night.

She stood up, closing the window in advance so that the water wouldn't get into her home.

It was a smart move indeed, as by sundown, the storm had begun.

The sky was dark, almost pitch black due to the clouds covering up the sun, heavy and a deep shade of grey.

Lightning struck every few seconds, the sound of rain pounding roughly against Vlads bedroom window echoing throughout the entire castle.

He had remained there all day, ever since returning from Evangeline's home.

Occasionally he would go out to the window, looking out of it to see her tiny cottage off in the distance.

He could imagine her, curled up on the couch working on some embroidery perhaps, or eating her dinner, and the very image made him sick.

Or, more specifically, the fact that he wasn't with her as she did it all was what made him sick.

But by that point, his mind was so muddy that he couldn't even figure out which was which.

All he knew was that he needed her more badly than he had ever needed something else- her smile, her laugh, her happiness, it all made his heart hurt.

He couldn't take it anymore.

He couldn't bear to stay there in that room, a room he had holed himself up in with all of his feelings, suffocating him.

He needed to be free of them- and freedom was with her.

Suddenly, everything seemed so clear.

He would confess it all to her tonight, he would go down to that cottage, he would force her to accept his love if that was what it took to get his hands on her.

He would have done anything.