⟣Chapter 71

⟣•71•⟢
: I OPENED A CLINIC IN THE APOCALYPSE

• • •
The three of them discussed and decided to wait for one more night. If He Lin and Lin Sheng hadn’t returned by tomorrow morning, they would take the helicopter back. The helicopter was still parked at the usual spot.

That night, He Lin and Lin Sheng returned and brought news from Central Mega City.

He Lin said, “No one from Yin Cheng’s team has returned. It has been four days, and there has been no communication. Yin Jiang is getting restless and may send someone to investigate.”

Before Yin Cheng set off, he must have informed Yin Jiang, so it was only a matter of time before someone was sent to investigate.

He Lin paused for a moment and continued, “Also, Xiao Jiang wants you to return.”

Xiao Hen nodded. “I understand.”

He Lin added, “There’s one more thing. The research on energy-based weapons in Central Mega City has been successful.”

The expressions of Xiao Hen and the others turned serious.

Wen Qingling asked, “Energy-based weapons?”

Xiao Hen explained, “The research institute has been working on weapons in this field, but they haven’t succeeded until now.”

Wen Qingling asked, “They succeeded now?”

Xiao Hen looked at Wen Qingling and explained, “I didn’t intentionally keep it from you. The research has been unsuccessful all this time…”

“It’s normal for you to keep it from me. We are from different factions, and it’s normal to hide things from each other, just like how I kept the secret of civilized zombies from you.”

Wen Qingling changed their tone, “But it’s different now. Your identity as a zombie is more significant than your human identity. You must consider the problem from the perspective of a zombie. Be honest and don’t hide anything.”

Xiao Hen hesitated and then said, “The research institute discovered long ago that the zombie crystal nucleus contains energy. Supernaturals can absorb the energy within the crystal nucleus to enhance their own strength. However, supernaturals are rare, while zombies are frighteningly abundant. The research institute proposed using zombie crystal nuclei as an energy source to develop energy-based weapons. It’s the same as what you mentioned, a gun that can shoot without bullets, and the attacks of the Level 7 evolved ‘Turrets’ are definitely related to their crystal nucleus energy.”

Wen Qingling raised an eyebrow. “So, as long as zombies exist, human weapons will never run out of energy?”

“Yes.” Xiao Hen trembled with fear, afraid that Wen Qingling would order them to steal people from the weapons research institute.

Fortunately, Wen Qingling hadn’t gone mad to that extent. They just said, “A zombie only has one crystal nucleus. It seems like it may not be enough for human consumption.”

After that, the topic wasn’t brought up again. It seemed like Wen Qingling had no interest in energy-based weapons developed by humans. He allowed Xiao Hen and the others to leave early and return early, giving them three days. One day to handle personal matters, one day to steal… ahem, one day to borrow research equipment, and the last day to come back. The timing was just right for Wen Qingling.

It was just right for Wen Qingling, but not so much for Xiao Hen and the others.

Xiao Hen spoke frankly, “Three days may not be enough.”