⟣Chapter 76

⟣•76•⟢
: I OPENED A CLINIC IN THE APOCALYPSE

• • •
After eliminating the undercover zombie, Wen Qingling was no longer lazy. He carefully searched Ling City again but did not find any suspicious zombies, which put his mind at ease.

While waiting for Xiao Hen and the others to return, Wen Qingling accelerated the maturation of a batch of blood anemones, intending to sell the slices to the decayed zombies and strengthen the ranks of civilized zombies. The civilized city had already begun to take shape, and more residents were needed.

Wen Qingling set a time limit for Xiao Hen and the others. Xiao Hen and his team hurried back without stopping. Finally, on the morning of the fifth day, they arrived in Ling City with two cars instead of one, as they had brought a living person. Xiao Hen asked Ji Rong and the others to wait outside the city while he drove in alone.

In just four days, the planning and construction of the core city and inner city had been mostly completed. Some civilized zombies had already moved in, although the majority of them still resided in the civilization base.

Xiao Hen drove directly to the clinic and indeed found Wen Qingling there. He was idly twirling a pen, lost in thought.

As soon as Xiao Hen got out of the car, he smelled a strong bloody scent. He glanced at the office where he could hear the voices of Jiang Lan and Wen Zheng, who were cutting the large blood anemones.

Wen Qingling looked at him as if he could see into his heart.

Xiao Hen raised an eyebrow. “Can you see something?”

Wen Qingling didn’t answer his teasing remark. “Where is the medical equipment?”

Xiao Hen looked at the clinic space. “You want me to put the equipment here?”

Wen Qingling stood up. “I’ll take you to see the research institute in the base. Put the equipment there.”

Xiao Hen said, “Wait, there’s one more thing.”

He turned around and went back to the car, bringing out a zombie. The zombie was heavily decayed, with tattered clothes and a stiff body. It was clearly in a dormant state.

Xiao Hen placed the zombie on the ground. “Can this one still be saved?”

Wen Qingling looked at him strangely. “Is it your relative?”

Xiao Hen said, “No, it’s a gift for you.”

Wen Qingling asked, “Do you think our Ling City lacks such gifts?”

Xiao Hen said, “His name is Zhu Baizhang, the top virus research expert in the country. He’s even more famous than Meng Lao.”

Wen Qingling’s eyes gradually lit up. “Are you sure you didn’t get the wrong zombie?”

Xiao Hen smiled as he finally saw a reaction from Wen Qingling. “I’m sure I didn’t get it wrong.”

They had originally planned to find these top talents together with Wen Qingling, but they happened to pass by the city where Zhu Baizhang resided when they were driving back. Xiao Hen didn’t have high hopes, as Wen Qingling had said that zombies wouldn’t wait for him to find them. However, when they arrived at Zhu Baizhang’s residence, he had already been bitten. During the early days of the apocalypse, which were the most chaotic, even though he was an expert in virus research, he couldn’t develop a vaccine in a short period of time. He knew his time was running out, so he refused Xiao Hen’s help and asked them to leave.

Xiao Hen felt lucky, so he made a detour to Zhu Baizhang’s home. Unlike other houses where the doors were wide open, Zhu Baizhang’s home was tightly shut, which made Xiao Hen realize something. They broke in through a window and found Zhu Baizhang in the master bedroom. Two wardrobes blocked the bedroom window, and Zhu Baizhang was lying between the gap.