prologue

"What? What do you mean you don't want to be a hero?"

A hero...

That's all anyone talks about nowadays. Like being a hero is some sort of lavish lifestyle. A lifestyle that can give a person anything they need without having to pay any price at all.

I'll tell you now, that's not what it is at all.

The lifestyle is not lavish. Not everyone gets what they want or need. And for the things people do take or recieve, there is always a price to pay. The price usually being higher than what they took in the first place.

"You don't want to be a hero?"
"You have so much potential,"
"Well that's a disappointment"
"Maybe we can trade quirks? I mean, it's not like you're using yours..."
"But, isn't being a hero basically your destiny?

especially with your family and all....."

Society now tells the world that everyone should strive to be a hero. People willing follow not knowing what it takes to become one, ultimately leading them to failure. And the people who do become heroes don't entirely do their jobs correctly. Sure, they save people and touch the hearts of the young. But what about the heroes who take it too far?

"BREAKING NEWS! A-list hero, Thunder, accused of giving unnecessarily cruel punishment-"

The heroes who think they are above the law?

"Did you hear about the hero who was stealing money from their agency? I forgot their name-"

The heroes who become villians themselves?

"I thought that the new hero who showed up came to help, but when they directed their quirk at us-"

Society chooses to ignore these things and still continues to advertise that becoming a hero will be the best thing to happen to a person.

My neighbors believe that...

My classmates believe that...

My teachers believe that...

My siblings believe that...

My parents believe- Well, they believed that...

They died. At least they died doing something they believed in. They never had time for me because of their hero agenda, but their lost still affected me. I mean, they were my parents.

A young man's chance at becoming a hero was taken from him by my parents. He had potential, but his attitude and general vibe was not fit to be a hero. He was brash and rude to the people he was saving which was why he was cut from the hero program my parent's were in charge of. The price they payed for taking this man's chance at becoming a hero was their lives.

This idealistic verison of a hero has taken almost everything from my life. Every second spent training, every second spent without my parents, every second of criticism from my peers, every second spent feeling unloved and unwanted is due to this version of a hero.

The heroes are corrupt...

The agencys are corrupt...

This system is corrupt...

OUR WHOLE SOCIETY
IS CORRUPT