Chapter 70: Concealed

“That's fine, Chief Wu… I'll call Namjoon or my father to pick me up! I don't want you to stress about it. Please go home for the day.” Jimin assured and made a smile to himself. However, he hid how nerve-racking it felt for the elder to ask if he wanted a ride. This was something the Chief would never ask. He was closed off most of the time and this alone struck many questions into Jimin's mind. He just couldn't understand what made the older man change his mind so suddenly. From a silent and secretive Chief, Jimin never really thought he'd hear his own boss offer him a ride home! What was he playing at now?

              “Don't bother them. How bad can a ride with me really be? Come on, let's not wait another second.” The elder pursued after Jimin to get him out of the facility. He just couldn't risk Jimin finding out the controls to the B248 hidden within the office, so he offered to take him home. The elder was rather paranoid when it came to hiding such a big secret that could end him as well. In his own universe, his mind orbited through many calculations to avoid getting caught. Even if it meant offering Jimin a ride home, he couldn't let anyone slip from his hands. Anything could lead to the secret coming out eventually. “I need rest.”

              “Then you can go now! Taking me home and then driving yourself home is such a hassle, I just can't-”

               “Let's go, now. You're too attached to that boy. You need to give him some time while he's in space.” Claimed the Chief. He struck Jimin where he knew Jimin just couldn't refuse and he kept telling the young man to join him; so, what other choice did he have? Even if this was his own boss speaking, Jimin couldn't turn down the offer much longer. “Are you coming with me?”

               “Not like I could say no.” Jimin thought in his head and stood up to follow along the elder. It was awkward, yet, very suspicious. Normally, the Chief would be in his own office all day and Mr. Park would be the one acting more of a boss to everyone. This is what set Jimin back the most. On the other hand, he had no idea what the elder was hiding under his sleeve throughout the many years he conducted many expeditions; along with Jimin's as well.

                Eventually, they reached a black Kia Optima car that was freshly waxed and the reflection within the coat shined. The tires blended in with the black coat of it and the blue within the headlights glew. Jimin was still uncomfortable riding with his boss home and nervously placed his hand over his own elbow. He wanted to ask why the elder suddenly wanted to be kind to him now, but he didn't have it in him to ask and come off so rude.

              The car ride was silent, Jimin sat in the passengers seat right by the elder and kept his hands intertwined with his own. Only the sound of the air rushing in through the small air-conditioned dashboard, roared as the car was speeding through the empty streets at night. Jimin held his phone up where the GPS gave the Chief instructions to the younger astronaut's home, but he grew anxious each time his directions were given out so suddenly. “You live very far…” Called out the elder as Jimin only nodded his head. “Nervous? I could tell. I never give rides out to my employees. So, you should be lucky.”

             “Thank you…” Jimin replied and avoided eye contact right after.

             “Hey… About the whole mission those two are doing to rescue the B248, do you think they'll be successful? It was supposed to be you up there.” Brought up the elder as Jimin slowly turned his head and focused on the older man.

             “If I was to go… There would have been a greater chance I wouldn't come back ever again…” Jimin mentioned and watched how the Chief shrugged his own shoulders.